Can You Get A Good Pint Anymore?

old tup

I dont think its me,could be wrong!,but I don,t seem to be able to buy a decent pint of bitter anymore.Back in the 50s and before that beer was brewed the old way and I know its not my imagination but it tasted and was a lot better than the chemical gas filled crap we are served up nowadays!.You hardly ever saw anyone supping lager,I used to love the old Stones bitter Wards too,does anyone remember Stones dark mild,you never see mild beer now.One of my favourite tipples was black and tan,half stones bitter and Jubilee stout I,ve lubricated the larynx a few times with that drink!,Barley Wine was popular,very strong, a lot more bottled stout was supped back then and a Babycham for the ladies.So what I ask is this, am I right or am I wrong in my observation,somebody tell me or am just a moaning Old Tup complaining again?.:huh::thumbsup::D

Get thee to the Blake Hotel or The Sheaf View Inn for a good pint of bitter. There's not always a mild on tap, but there will be a good range to choose from.

I'm sure there are many other good beer pubs in Sheff, but step outside of that charmed circle and you're right - the bitter is metallic, cold, fizzy and bland - and not unlike the lagers served in these same establishments.

I feel the same. The Sammy Smiths in a pub in Tadcaster, Wards in the Grindstone, Crookes and Stones's in the York, Broomhill. These pints to name but a few tasted vastly superior in the 60's to 95% of the stuff that gets served up today. I don't think its all in the mind - its a fact.

I recall my mother once being drunk, when asked what she'd had she replied, "Only had 3 Barley Wines and four Gold Labels", bless her. She's only 4'10", weighs next to nothing and, she's still with us aged 85 and extemely active, must be the Barley Wine!

Back in the 60s every Sunday dinner we were in the Bath Hotel down the road from The Blake, sometimes we,d pop up there for a gill or two.One Sunday I saw one of the best fist fights outside there must have been 20 of em at it,all over a game of dominoes!.

I dont think its me,could be wrong!,but I don,t seem to be able to buy a decent pint of bitter anymore.Back in the 50s and before that beer was brewed the old way and I know its not my imagination but it tasted and was a lot better than the chemical gas filled crap we are served up nowadays!.You hardly ever saw anyone supping lager,I used to love the old Stones bitter Wards too,does anyone remember Stones dark mild,you never see mild beer now.One of my favourite tipples was black and tan,half stones bitter and Jubilee stout I,ve lubricated the larynx a few times with that drink!,Barley Wine was popular,very strong, a lot more bottled stout was supped back then and a Babycham for the ladies.So what I ask is this, am I right or am I wrong in my observation,somebody tell me or am just a moaning Old Tup complaining again?.:huh::thumbsup::D

I think the way forward is the small real ale breweries that seem to be springing up,we have a new one opened in lytham st annes,just started supplying a few local clubs at present,wonderful tasting beer,and there are a couple more in the preston area,one pub in preston town centre 'Bitter suite' is run by a lady who is a real ale fanatic,there a choice of 8 or 9 brews + the beers/lagers you can buy anywhere,if you order the latter she is very cool indeed,but any of the real ales and she cant do enough,real service with a smile!!

somebody tell me or am just a moaning Old Tup complaining again?.

You are.Sheffield and district produces some of the best beer in the country,have you tried Abbeydale,Kelham Island Thornbridge,Sheffield Brewerey,Bradfield and more.

I think you are a very silly person !

Archived