Racism on Forum

Many contributors mention mention racism when posting.

What is racism? Is it hatred of other races creeds or colours? or is it pride in ones own race?

Discuss.

For me it's the indiscriminate dislike of a group of people purely by virtue of the racial group they belong to.

I'm not sure how you can be proud of your own race since there may be people who are members of it who have qualities you don't aspire to, but you can certainly be proud of who you are based on your achievements and ambitions in life, in my opinion.

Really, the notion that there are clearly-distinguishable 'races' is nonsense.

The concept of 'racism' more often signifies xenophobia. It's not unnatural for anyone:

a. to prefer those similar to oneself; and

b. to look askance at those different from oneself.

Many contributors mention mention racism when posting.

What is racism? Is it hatred of other races creeds or colours? or is it pride in ones own race?

Discuss.

It's quite simple really, racism is discriminating against/for someone based on their race. The more difficult question is how do you define race?

jb

Really, the notion that there are clearly-distinguishable 'races' is nonsense.

The concept of 'racism' more often signifies xenophobia. It's not unnatural for anyone:

a. to prefer those similar to oneself; and

b. to look askance at those different from oneself.

That's an interesting point and probably true, ironically the default human condition should have it that we instinctively prefer people different from ourselves in order to promote diversity in the gene pool.

I remember being about 8 or 9 at junior school, and a black boy was calling my friend a "curly haired white *****"

We had just been learning about racism and watching videos on it, so she went and told the teacher that the boy was being racist to her. The teacher's reply was "Don't be silly, he can't be racist to you, you're white!"

Hmmm

"That's an interesting point and probably true, ironically the default human condition should have it that we instinctively prefer people different from ourselves in order to promote diversity in the gene pool. "

I might suggest that the 'gene pool' is only interested in frequency, not diversity.

Archived