Racism on Forum

That's an interesting point and probably true, ironically the default human condition should have it that we instinctively prefer people different from ourselves in order to promote diversity in the gene pool.

I agree with Jeffrey Shaw, it is a natural part of the human condition to be wary of 'the other' which is not the same as racism, in my view.

Opposites do frequently attract (which is fortunate otherwise I wouldn't be here!), and I agree that in evolutionary terms, this would be better to be the default position to keep the the gene pool healthy and diverse. Yet frequently people are attracted to those similar to themselves and genetic sexual attraction is a well documented phenomenon.

Personally, I feel that the term 'racism' is used too liberally and erroneously these days.

I remember being about 8 or 9 at junior school, and a black boy was calling my friend a "curly haired white *****"

We had just been learning about racism and watching videos on it, so she went and told the teacher that the boy was being racist to her. The teacher's reply was "Don't be silly, he can't be racist to you, you're white!"

Hmmm

Thats must have been a while ago.

Seriously, no ones that ignorant thse days.

"That's an interesting point and probably true, ironically the default human condition should have it that we instinctively prefer people different from ourselves in order to promote diversity in the gene pool. "

I might suggest that the 'gene pool' is only interested in frequency, not diversity.

Ok, well let's put it another way-the outcome for the human race is enhanced by diversification of its genes.

I remember being about 8 or 9 at junior school, and a black boy was calling my friend a "curly haired white *****"

We had just been learning about racism and watching videos on it, so she went and told the teacher that the boy was being racist to her. The teacher's reply was "Don't be silly, he can't be racist to you, you're white!"

Hmmm

That's another good point. Is a child not complete with all the cognitive faculties capable of racism?

If the boy in your scenario had been my son he would have got his bottom spanked regardless!

Just to make it clear from a forum standpoint:

Users may hold whatever wishes they want, but it is against forum rules to post on the forum any posts which contain language of hatred, language or opinions which others are likely to find offensive or anything which has an apparent intent to incite hatred in others.

The applies to race, gender, disability and any other connotation in which language may be considered offensive.

If you see any postings which you consider offensive (rather than challenging debate) then please use the report function to tell the moderating team about it.

Ok, well let's put it another way-the outcome for the human race is enhanced by diversification of its genes.

That's contrary to modern scientific understanding, generally as with all lifeforms (plants and animals) is to adapt for survival, not to just be different!

The word is bandied around like a bunch of keys at a swingers' party, and a lot of people take an unyielding stance on this forum, rising up like an avenging angel to defend the minorities. Sadly, in reality, I'm sure most people are outrageous hypocrites and the truth is often somewhere in between.

But you can't post on here without someone taking offense and calling the racist card; just like real life and the simply outrageously 'politically correct' world in which we live.

Archived