Getting fit - after smoking

It's a strange thing, but when 45 Commando first went into Afghan in about late 2001, the lads that suffered (generally) from altitude sickness were mostly non-smokers, as the smokers, although still fit, has sufficient grot in their lungs to ward off the sickness. Odd, but true.

Yeah, I have read about similar things. I believe it's due to oxygen deprivation and as a result, the body working harder to get the oxygen enriched blood the muscles etc. Obviously, as a smoker, the body would be used to this workload, whereas a non smoker would struggle (in some cases) as the body would be put under a strain to deal with the oxygen deprivation.

Although, the extra effort required for the delivery of blood is generally not good, increased blood pressure and extra strain on the heart.

Jeez! ... I've been planning on giving up smoking, having read this lot though, I'm not sure if it's a good idea! :(

It's fun, I tell thee. First time was bad, but quitting for the second (and last) time is a nightmare. Can't wait for the pain and other associated stuff to stop. Oh, my doctor can't wait too, then I can stop bombarding them with my new illnesses.

I quit smoking about 3 months ago and ever since, I have suffered from one thing or another. At the moment, easily getting short of breath and having delightful mucus in my nose.

I am relatively fit, however, the smoking has obviously limited my fitness levels (especially now my body is recovering). I really want to increase my fitness levels and the ability to breath so I was wondering if you had any ideas about the sort of exercise I should be doing.

I currently run about 4 miles every other day, but want something to exceed that. Looking forward to your replies.

Well done!

Cycling is your answer. You can cover vast amounts of ground quite quickly, and excercise whilst you're doing other things, eg nipping to the shops.

You'll also save petrol and gym money. :)

Well done!

Cycling is your answer. You can cover vast amounts of ground quite quickly, and excercise whilst you're doing other things, eg nipping to the shops.

Cycling is definitely not the answer if you happen to live in Crookes!

Although I've not stopped smoking yet, I thought it would be a good idea to get a bit fit beforehand.

'Jogging' was my first port of call. Yes, I was nervous about it as I'd set myself the target of running the complete circumference of the Bolehills (about half a mile) before my ciggie had gone out. I managed it on my third attempt!

Next athletic project was was to cycle to the newsagents and back on what I call the 'Golden Virgina Challenge' ... total fail!

All the roads round here are at least on a 85% slope! The only way it's possible is if you have a funicular pedal bike (which I don't)

Telling someone to cycle is totally irresponsible!

Well done!

Cycling is definitely not the answer if you happen to live in Crookes!

Although I've not stopped smoking yet, I thought it would be a good idea to get a bit fit beforehand.

'Jogging' was my first port of call. Yes, I was nervous about it as I'd set myself the target of running the complete circumference of the Bolehills (about half a mile) before my ciggie had gone out. I managed it on my third attempt!

Next athletic project was was to cycle to the newsagents and back on what I call the 'Golden Virgina Challenge' ... total fail!

All the roads round here are at least on a 85% slope! The only way it's possible is if you have a funicular pedal bike (which I don't)

Telling someone to cycle is totally irresponsible!

Cycling is pretty good. Maybe not so if you have a huge hill to climb. I don't and it's an easy ride into town from Hillsborough. I have been cycling a while now and I hope the time will come when people are not wizzing past me on their bikes.

I have given up twice now, it does get easier :)

The first few months for me were awful, constantly coughing, always got a cold etc. Now I'm right as rain (this weekends blip not included). Persevere, you will feel better eventually :)

I have given up twice now, it does get easier :)

The first few months for me were awful, constantly coughing, always got a cold etc. Now I'm right as rain (this weekends blip not included). Persevere, you will feel better eventually :)

Cheers. This is the second time for me also. 3 months on and seem to be getting worse :suspect: I think I am picking up every other illness going, it doesn't help that I am training for my climb up Kilimanjaro.

Archived