Looking for a late family holiday..frustrated

Aiming to go on our first ever family holiday abroad in around 10 days or so...for 10-14 days. It's doing my head in trying to find somewhere that fits our criteria, bearing in mind our kids are 5 and 2.

- shortish flight (so probably Balearics, Portugal, Spain)

- not Malta, Greece, Turkey

- somewhere not full of headbangers but more family orientated

- quiet(ish) if possible though not remote

- not a big old 'Benidorm' style hotel, small hotel/apartment preferred

- budget £2k (though this is right at the top end, near All Inclusive budget)

I don't want much, do I? :thumbsup:

Anyone recommend anywhere, especially if you've just returned?

Thought I'd found one via Teletext but looking on Trip Adviser we would probably have been the only Brits there...

With that many requirements, it would have been wise to book well in advance. At this short notice, you get a lot of cheap offers but you only get them on whatever happens to be left; there may not be a wide choice available.

You've got that right...hence the thread.

Not very experienced at this malarkey, what with it being the first time I've done it.

No other brits......bliss

Indeed, there is that side to it. I'm in no way jingoistic or xenophobic and had the place been full of locals, great.

I read a review from a parent with similar age kids to mine who said the (mainly German) older kids ran amok without being disciplined by their parents to the detriment of the children's enjoyment, etc.

Sounds like a load of stress.

Not that British children/parents don't do this, of course...merely that I could 'negotiate' much better in that regard. :hihi:

Iv just booked a late deal for next week and paid well over the odds as there is no such thing as a cheap late deal in the holidays. I'm going to Alcudia and a lot of th hotels there cater for kids. A friend of mine went to Barcelona with their kids as the flight isn't long at all.

If you can wait til mid Sept id go then

Aiming to go on our first ever family holiday abroad in around 10 days or so...for 10-14 days. It's doing my head in trying to find somewhere that fits our criteria, bearing in mind our kids are 5 and 2.

- shortish flight (so probably Balearics, Portugal, Spain)

- not Malta, Greece, Turkey

- quiet(ish) if possible though not remote

- not a big old 'Benidorm' style hotel, small hotel/apartment preferred

- budget £2k (though this is right at the top end, near All Inclusive budget)

I don't want much, do I? :thumbsup:

Anyone recommend anywhere, especially if you've just returned?

Thought I'd found one via Teletext but looking on Trip Adviser we would probably have been the only Brits there...

We booked via wwwfleetwaytravel.com (found via teletext) and got the hotel I wanted at a decent price. We booked a few weeks ahead though - looking now there doesnt seem to be so much left...

http://goo.gl/32Oih

If you pick Menorca , there isnt a rowdy location so not a bad choice and only couple hours flight.

...we would probably have been the only Brits there...

I think you'll find when you go abroad that a lot of the headbangers are Brits. There's a saying you may have heard of called travel broadens the mind. It tends not to apply to Brits.

I find the best places to go are the ones popular with the natives of that country. Brittany is nice and you can drive to Plymouth and get the ferry over. The South of France is lovely from the Basque Country across to the Italian border. Corsica and Sardinia too are nice but Corsica is expensive and very popular. But if it's Brits you want you can get a train to Cleethorpes.

For the last few years when the grandkids were young we have been going to the Sur Menorca Hotel, obviously on Menorca. All inclusive, child friendly, quiet etc. Just had a quick look on First Choice and for your requirements it comes up at £2056 for 2 weeks from Donny on Sept 5th, if you juggle the dates you should get inside your budget.

Archived