False Rape

Perhaps if I had said something along the lines of 'all men are rapists' or 'all heterosexual sex is rape' then that oh so predictable claim could possibly be true.

Or all homosexuals are women haters. :D

Why is it sad to percieve half of rape cases are false? This could no doubt be the truth. people need to stop being so naive.

How do you conclude they're false? Just because the police & CPS decide that there's no chance of meeting the 'beyond reasonable doubt' burden of proof and drop prosecutions so save their resources for cases there's a chance of winning. That in no way means that you can reasonably conclude that the complaints were false.

Look at it like this:

A. Assume that the total number of cases includes true and false, known and unknown together. Some never go anywhere.

B. The rest go on, i.e. report to police. Some go no further- lack of proof/evidence.

C. The rest go on, i.e. to CPS. Some go no further- lack of proof/evidence.

D. The rest go on, i.e. to trial. Some lead to acquittal.

E. The rest go on, i.e. to conviction.

So inevitably 'E' is a reduced proportion of 'A'. That's true of every single category of criminal activity. The reduction is neither good nor bad- merely inevitable.

How do you conclude they're false? Just because the police & CPS decide that there's no chance of meeting the 'beyond reasonable doubt' burden of proof and drop prosecutions so save their resources for cases there's a chance of winning. That in no way means that you can reasonably conclude that the complaints were false.

You're right. It's impossible to conclude that any of them are false with 100% accuracy, so realistically, it is wrong to conclude that any percentage of rape claims are false, whether you say that number is 0%, 50% or 100%. We will never get a true figure, only opinion and guesswork.

Archived