When interest rates go up will you lose your home?

No, I just bought it a very long time ago and am nearing the end of my mortgage.

Anybody else who had bought a £30k house 25 years ago and then not extended or renewed their mortgage would be in the same position as me now.

True £19000 in 1979, although had to extend on divorce, lucky though only by 20k. I really feel for people today.

A I right in thinking you do not work? (for a wage)

Your ineligible for housing benefit because your a home owner, but you are in receipt of the higher rate of DLA?

Maybe she's not the only one paying the mortgage in the house

A I right in thinking you do not work? (for a wage)

Your ineligible for housing benefit because your a home owner, but you are in receipt of the higher rate of DLA?

I'm ineligible for housing benefit because I insured my income before I got ill! How irresponsible of me!

DLA is awarded irrespective of financial circumstances. Is that relevant to the discussion?

if interest rates go up ill put the rents up, i wont loose any houses but if the tenants cant pay, tough

And the system will reward you with tax breaks. At least for now.

But things are going to change. Your going to lose your council tax break for having an empty home. Your houses require maintenance. Your going to lose rental income as people choose not to pay exorbitant rents.

If mortgaged you'll be repossessed and bankrupted.

And the system will reward you with tax breaks. At least for now.

But things are going to change. Your going to lose your council tax break for having an empty home. Your houses require maintenance. Your going to lose rental income as people choose not to pay exorbitant rents.

If mortgaged you'll be repossessed and bankrupted.

Meh, there will be more families to take their place, rent to big families and theres always someone to take up the slack when you want to put the rent up

Why don't banks extend a mortgage?

Answer more profit in taking the home.

Wrong. A repossessing first mortgagee retains only the amount outstanding on the mortgage account- just as if the mortgagor (borrower) was repaying the debt in full. The surplus sale proceeds (after sale costs) next go to any second mortgagee etc.; and the balance to the mortgagor.

Archived