When interest rates go up will you lose your home?

No she isn’t, some people had mortgages 25 / 30 years ago when interest rates went as high 15%, repossession was a new word we had never heard of and there was mass unemployment ………… I am sick of hearing how lucky I was.

And don’t even mention the 3 minute warning and how we were all going to get obliterated; yep I suppose we were very lucky. :hihi:

I'm pleased that you recognise someone with similar political affiliations as your good self, to be wrong.

When we took out the mortgage on the house that we still live in, we could only afford to go to the local one night a week. We could not afford holidays for circa 5 years,and eating out was an impossibility.

Yes we felt very fortunate to be totally skint. :rolleyes:

Are you telling us you took out something like one of those nasty Payment Protection Insurance schemes?

Shouldn't you receive compensation for being financially responsible?

No, I had some of that insurance when I first bought my house, and that paid out £7000 more than I had paid in when I got ill before my company income-related permanent health insurance cut in after I was diagnosed the second time.

I'm one of the people who are an advertisement for the benefits of insurance. Of course I wasn't going to be diagnosed seriously ill when I was 26 and have that change the course of my life completely either, so when I took it out it was purely because it was part of the deal with our company pensions.

No, not at all. DLA is non means dependent.

Sorry I was thinking about my mother, I don’t know what she got before ( It was means tested), I was pleasantly surprised when she got moved to Attendance allowance.

There are two non-means tested benefits which are payable to a person to help with the extra costs of disability. These are Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and Attendance Allowance.

When we took out the mortgage on the house that we still live in, we could only afford to go to the local one night a week. We could not afford holidays for circa 5 years,and eating out was an impossibility.

:

The trick is for people to remember those days and not to be lured into the idea that they have become middle classed or Tory voters because they are now house owners with a couple of cars on the drive and a nice tan from their two week in the sun.

No she isn’t, some people had mortgages 25 / 30 years ago when interest rates went as high 15%, repossession was a new word we had never heard of and there was mass unemployment ………… I am sick of hearing how lucky I was.

And don’t even mention the 3 minute warning and how we were all going to get obliterated; yep I suppose we were very lucky. :hihi:

And me! There were times when our family were young that we struggled to pay our mortgage,and just when we thought the pressure was off (kids more or less independent, both of us working) my OH had a major heart attack and I got made redundant. :rolleyes: If we'd been renting we'd have probably got some help, but as homeowners, there was no chance! I had to find a job immediately although I'd rather have had more time to look after my husband.

Although our income improved eventually, it left us with a mortgage which we didn't want to take into retirement. We sold up and bought a cheaper home, and now have no debt.

The trick is for people to remember those days and not to be lured into the idea that they have become middle classed or Tory voters because they are now house owners with a couple of cars on the drive and a nice tan from their two week in the sun.

We have four weeks in the sun so we must be middle class. ;)

Archived