Know your customer and Banks

Last week I had a third degree from my bank, where do you live, who lives with you and lots of other intrusive personal questions, they managed to avoid bathroom habits..but give em enough rope and who knows.This was done on the counter during a simple transaction with other people in hearing distance . I am aware of other customers who, during the last week, have staggered out of this particular bank and who have undergone the same bewildering experience, two of whom were frail and elderly. After looking at financial regulations in world wide banking I realise this sort of intrusion is the norm and is called 'know your customer'..Well thank you kindly on that but I prefer to keep my distance and my privacy. Anyone else gone thru this?

Last week I had a third degree from my bank, where do you live, who lives with you and lots of other intrusive personal questions, they managed to avoid bathroom habits..but give em enough rope and who knows.This was done on the counter during a simple transaction with other people in hearing distance . I am aware of other customers who, during the last week, have staggered out of this particular bank and who have undergone the same bewildering experience, two of whom were frail and elderly. After looking at financial regulations in world wide banking I realise this sort of intrusion is the norm and is called 'know your customer'..Well thank you kindly on that but I prefer to keep my distance and my privacy. Anyone else gone thru this?

Money Laundering Regulations, you see.

Accountants and Solicitors have to go through the same rigmarole.

Money Laundering Regulations, you see.

Accountants and Solicitors have to go through the same rigmarole.

Exactly, all banks have to do it. Please don't get angry at the person asking you these questions, they have no choice !

Exactly, all banks have to do it. Please don't get angry at the person asking you these questions, they have no choice !

No they DON"T have to do it, I've never been asked any of those questions in any bank, and my banks changed over 2 or 3 times in the past few years with all new employees, no ones asked those kind of questions, they wouldn't dare, they'd lose customers left & right, and If a customer doesn't walk away after being asked those questions, then there's something wrong :suspect:

No they DON"T have to do it, I've never been asked any of those questions in any bank, and my banks changed over 2 or 3 times in the past few years with all new employees, no ones asked those kind of questions, they wouldn't dare, they'd lose customers left & right, and If a customer doesn't walk away after being asked those questions, then there's something wrong :suspect:

You are spot on poppins. I went to the Post Office on Monday to renew my car tax, I handed over all the necessary paper work including my insurance certificate which was due to run out in a couple of weeks. The women on the counter looked at it and asked me if I have renewed my insurance. After feeling my blood starting to boil I just looked at her and asked what she would do if I said no I haven't renewed it. She didn't know what to say and handed over my tax disc with a scowl. Now if I was a young person it may and I mean just may have been an appropriate question but I am a grandma and the insurance is with Saga

Rubbish! I bank at a well know bank and don't have to answer these questions while doing 'regular' transactions.

Archived