The people have spoken - Should we listen?

Because it's what they're for. When a court order goes out to arrest someone, the police arrest him.

The Police wouldn't back the EU over Parliament. They would most likely refuse to carry out the orders of the courts in a constitutional crisis like this.

Assaulting a police officer is a double crime; firstly, you've assaulted someone, and secondly you're interfering with the judicial system.

On the first count, I wouldn't count his life any more important than yours or mine, but if you or I were to get killed, the second count would not apply.

The police are not part of the judiciary. The seriousness of the offence is because you assualted an officer of the Crown.

You missed the bit where each elected MP requires only a plurality of votes and not a majority. This coupled with the differing sizes of constituencies means that the party with the most seats may have gained the support of far less than 50% of the votes. It's such a shame there are no alternative, fairer ways to vote...

jb

jb

well I did say roughly

whoever gets elected in the constituency usually does so with the vote of less than 50% of the total constituency

as you say it's a shame there are no fairer ways of voting, we had a chance to introduce one but the people said no

well actually that's not quite accurate, 42.2% of the people had a say and 67.9% of those said no which I make to be 28.6538% of the total available votes (source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011)

I'm assuming I multiply .422 by .679 and then by 100 to get the percentage of the total, if this is wrong then please let me know

so 28.6538% of the people said no to a change in the voting system

Your calculation is spot on. Voter apathy has a lot to answer for. I'm mildly intrigued why when compared with a turnout of 65% for the General Election it would seem 23% of registered voters don't care what system is in place.

jb

ETA: Looking at the figures out of the 65% that voted in the General Election 6.1 million said yes, 13 million said no and 10.4 million don't care. This does not really inspire confidence in the voting public.

Archived