The people have spoken - Should we listen?

It most certainly isn't - "true democracy" would be where every single person votes on every issue and in order for something to be accepted it would have to be a unanimous vote.

Which is why I stated "preferred method of governance":D.

Criminal proof standard is 'beyond REASONABLE doubt'.

I know, but how many case have we heard of where the evidence was "beyond reasonable doubt" only to find the "reasonable doubt" was that police officers had lied or manipulated evidence?

What do you mean by lesser? Surely not the death penalty.
You said you would like to see the death penalty returned, but only for paedophiles and police murderers. This would mean that regular murderers would not be executed, so paedophiles would be encouraged to murder their victims to cover up their crimes.

I see no need to slow things down with torture etc.
:huh: what on earth?

Just put a bullet through every pedophiles head. That is going to cost around £2 instead of the hundreds of thousands, if not millions it costs to keep one locked up for 25 years.
Actually the death penalty turns out to be more expensive because of the absolutely necessary appeals system that would have to be put in place.

No it is not. We have a representative democracy.

So the majority of people would not prefer "true democracy" over our current system?

I'd like to believe people would prefer true democracy.

Why only police murder? Why should it be deemed worse than killing me or you?

I was just about to ask the same question. Since when were Policemen/women ranked higher than anyone else..?

The majority of people don't even know what true democracy is so I doubt it to be honest, they'd probably tell you we've already got a true democracy here.
In my experience, people do not want true democracy, nor do they want democracy.

For certain subjects people want what they want and everyone who disagrees can go hang, nothing will dissuade them from their viewpoint, all counter arguments are dismissed, ignored or shouted down.

For example, how many times have debates on this forum actually changed anyones mind ?

Trust me, it doesn't happen very often.

Then compare that figure to the number of people who haven't changed their opinion because of on forum debate.

Why do we think the rest of the country will be different ?

In my experience, people do not want true democracy, nor do they want democracy.

For certain subjects people want what they want and everyone who disagrees can go hang, nothing will dissuade them from their viewpoint, all counter arguments are dismissed, ignored or shouted down.

For example, how many times have debates on this forum actually changed anyones mind ?

Then compare that figure to the number of people who haven't changed their opinion because of on forum debate.

I agree, it's probably very rare that users have a Road to Damascus type conversion and change their long established view on something.

However I do believe forums like these can be effective politicking tools to sway the opinion of the casual observer, so without people challenging an argument, those who propose one could influence public opinion using very little in the way of substance.

I know SF isn't a democracy, but can I have my original thread title back please, which is "The people have spoke their brane".

The misspelling and phrasing was deliberate and a reference to the 'spEak You're bRanes' site, which SF increasingly resembles -

http://ifyoulikeitsomuchwhydontyougolivethere.com/

Archived