A cold drink on an East Midlands train, too much to ask for ?

I was on an East Midlands Trains service from London the other day and on this occasion I was in First class.

I was parched and asked for a cold Coke.

Now we'll ignore the unforgivable fact that on East Midlands Train First class "cold" drinks are only available from the trolley (which is at the other end of the train.....), and just concentrate on the fact that even if I'd waited for said trolley to appear in First Class [it did so around about Derby], the bleedin' Coke would have been room temperature.

Where else but on a British train would anyone buy a lukewarm coke ?

If anyone went into a pub or cafe and was served a room temperature Coke, or lager come to that, most people would send it back, or at least wished they'd gone to some other hostelry.

But, apparently, on EMT, and most other train companies, even in First class (the "premium product"), it's fine.

I`m willing to bet that even the EMT staff member (who I wrote an E Mail complaining about this to) gets his beers out of the fridge when he's at home, not out of the kitchen cupboard.

Pathetic.

Try a coffee? that will be cold...not to mention gross:gag:

I always prefer mine at cellar temperature which should be a lot cooler than the bar ;)

That right, cellar temp, my Mom use to keep her once a week bottle of beer on the pantry floor ready for her Sunday dinner.:love:

Why not go to the buffet carriage and get your own ……………. Sorry I forgot you were in first class and expect waiting on hand and foot.

I have travelled first class and lost my seat because a train had been cancelled and on another occasion there wasn’t even a curled up sandwich left let alone a cold drink on the return leg ……… did I throw a wobble ………. did I complain via email …………… did I :rant: on a forum. No. Stiff upper lip and all that.

I have travelled first class and lost my seat because a train had been cancelled and on another occasion there wasn’t even a curled up sandwich left let alone a cold drink on the return leg ……… did I throw a wobble ………. did I complain via email …………… did I :rant: on a forum. No. Stiff upper lip and all that.

You should complain, if you don't they will just carry on giving the same crappy service.

Buffet car. We can see who hasn't been on a train for a long time :hihi:

Sorry for showing my age ………. What would you call it? ……………….. that carrage that as a long queue of people waiting for a coffee.

Oh I see what you mean ………… east midlands have scrapped them …………….. perhaps that’s why I travel from Doncaster whenever possible.

It's getting pretty complicated to follow, but East Midlands Trains are launching into the process of re-arranging their mainline (London) fleet.

The newer 'Meridians' are going to be reformed from 8-car and 4-car trains to 7-car and 5-car trains. There are also some capacity changes, which therailwaycentre.com explain in detail here (http://www.therailwaycentre.com/News%20March%202008/180308_222EMT.html).

Further to all this, it seems the buffet cars won't be removed from the (older) HST trains. The idea of trolley service instead of a buffet seems to have sunk like a lead balloon, but maybe they have other plans.

Meanwhile (Arriva) CrossCountry's plans to remove the shop from the Voyager trains that serve Sheffield also seems to have gone on ice: apparently they're so structurally integral to the design of the train it won't be possible to remove the shop and replace it with seats

Archived