Serious lack of Italian run good quality Italian restaurants - HELP

LucDom

the best one we have been 2 is portofinos on chesterfield road s8 well recommended !!!!

Is that still open? I went a few years ago for my dad's birthday and thought it was absolutely fantastic, glad to hear its still going strong.:)

I'm sorry but I was very disappointed with Ferdinando's. A group of 3 of us went there. It wasn't overly busy or anything and it took an hour and a half for us to finally get our main meal. The service was absolutely appalling. The staff didn't seem to care and when my meal did come it was foul. I had a crespella which was basically just a bowl full of spinach with a pancake wrapped around. I think they must have forgotten to add the cheese, chicken and tomatoes. That is a restaurant I certainly won't be visiting again!

Bella Napoli on Abbeydale Road next to the now closed down Spar shop.

Not quite authentic but run by a Venezuelian woman called Nancy who is incredidably passionate about her cooking. I worked there when I was a student, and boy was I well fed!

Is that still open? I went a few years ago for my dad's birthday and thought it was absolutely fantastic, glad to hear its still going strong.:)

Not run by Italian's anymore. The previous owner sold it (he actually got rid, it became the Bay tree, he restarted it as Portofino and got rid again). I don't actually know if the Chef is the same one or even if he was italian, all I know is that last time I went it wasn't as good.

Possibly just a one-off, so will definitely go again as I've had some fantastic meals there over the years.

Think you need to listen a little closer, because all the Italian looking staff in Maranellos are in fact Iranian :suspect:

Not detracting from the quality of the food/place, but it doesn't fit with the OP's request for an Italian run Italian.

The head chef (who owns the restaurant) is definitely Italian - she's called Lucia. She's the sister of Vito who runs Vito's in Walkley.

I'm not aware of any Iranian staff in there at all.:loopy:

I'd recommend Portofino, next to the white lion where London Road turns into Chesterfield Road. I've been quite a few times. The food is sensational and very reasonably priced considering the quality. Nice friendly and relaxed atmosphere too. I love Italian food and this is the best restaurant I've found in Sheffield so far.

I've never recommended restaurants on here but I have this worry that these little authentic, non-chain places will disappear if we don't all support them with our custom. Give it a try, I'm sure you'll love it.

The head chef (who owns the restaurant) is definitely Italian - she's called Lucia. She's the sister of Vito who runs Vito's in Walkley.

I'm not aware of any Iranian staff in there at all.:loopy:

Agree. Marinello's is an Italian family based restaurant and a quite authentic one.

Italian food varies massively from the north to the south of the country so it's important to find out the location and speciality of the chef. I would personally like more variation but the majority offer "italian food" that Sheffielder's think is italian.

Tuscan stews / parpadelli / ragu sauces / wild boar / simple authentic spaghetti dishes and so on......

Better wine lists would suffice eg Brunello's , Amarone's , super tuscans.

Archived