A Miss Is As Good As A Mile!

old tup

This memory makes my blood run cold,back in the 80s I was working as a wholesale driver-salesman for Fletchers Bakeries,it occured on the M1 south just passed jcn 29 at 6-00am on a bright summers morning.I was driving a 7ton bread-van southbound,my vanlad was fast asleep a good job he was,I was doing over 60mph in the middle lane when I saw something up in the air about 20ft high,it was a huge wheel plus tyre that had come off an artic trailer going north on the other side,had hit the barrier and took off.I was hemmed in both sides and couldn,t swerve,it was coming straight at me dropping towards the windscreen,I remember thinking[This is it!],I ducked down,at the last moment it swerved just a little to my right missed by inches it flew over the offside mirror and scudded onto the wagon side.I glanced in the mirror,a car was coming fast in the 3rd lane,the wheel hit the road then bounced right across the car bonnet not touching it,the next thing it clouted the barrier and took off again flying across the northbound side rolling at speed onto the hard shoulder without hitting anything.Someone up there was smiling on us all that day,my vanboy slept through it all and couldn,t understand why I was shaking so much when I finally pulled up.A miss is as good as a mile don,t you think?:gag::thumbsup:

Archived