Prison is too easy and isn't working

Thats the problem with liberals, they think they can buy/bribe the criminal to act with humanity. The truth is the criminal is laughing at the system, the system that rewards them for there criminality. The decent law abiding rest pay for the criminal and there liberal life supporters.
Exactly, no one should wish to be a kept man, every man should be offered a job and the opportunity to have pride. The majority of people in prisons have had little by way of work experience and feel social outcasts in society so treat society with contempt and take what they want from the world. Drugs and drink offer a temporary way out of the predicament they find themselves in, the drug culture becoming the only way to earn revenue and gaining any sort of social standing to some.

The first things most drug dealers wish to do one they have earned money enough to live comfortable is to buy goods that show off their wealth and express their success to others. That's what the bling and gangster culture is all about, trying to gain respect.

I think if you have a job you gain self respect and that is worth far more.

Do you really believe that hardened career criminals will respond to soft treatment by changing their life habits?

Even if you can temporarily sway them while in prison and under education, they will regress as soon as they return to their sink estates and go back to mixing with other low-lives.

I don't think that I said anything about being soft did I Conrod? I'm interested in what works, not what makes some people feel better.

Breaking cycles works. For example.

Thats the problem with liberals, they think they can buy/bribe the criminal to act with humanity.

The problem with disciplinarians is that they think they can beat a man into learning compassion. Both extremes of the two ideas are equally as flawed as the other.

speaking as an ex prison officer, Prisons are not as easy as you may think,, prisoners are made to live and work to a timetable,, they only get to see family and friends once a week or once a month depending on their behavour,,they are locked up at 8pm, unlocked at 8am for work, ,lots of time spent in a cell, alone or with another prisoner that they dont know,,ive seen the hardest of men cry when they are on there own,, their punishment is being in prison,, its not our job to punish them further,,taking away their freedom is enough,

The only sure way to prevent reoffending is capital punishment.

On an individual basis that does work (obviously!), but there are innumerable countries that have the death penalty and a worse crime problem than Britain. There are others with no death penalty and not as much of a crime problem.

There clearly is no correlation between the harshness of sentencing and the level of crimes being committed. We need to look elsewhere to figure out why we have a crime problem and how to eliminate it.

I would also agree that making prisoners work would be beneficial to both them and the general public, if they provided some kind of public service. Unfortunately, setting such a scheme up would be very expensive and it would be a while before any benefits / profits are seen.

There's no such thing as a freee breakfast, how do you know how much it would cost to set up a scheme were prisoners earn't their keep, there must be many things that are labour intensive but not cost intensive equipment whise, it wouldn't take a genius to develope work etc that paid for prisoners and their incarceration costs.

speaking as an ex prison officer, Prisons are not as easy as you may think,, prisoners are made to live and work to a timetable,, they only get to see family and friends once a week or once a month depending on their behavour,,they are locked up at 8pm, unlocked at 8am for work, ,lots of time spent in a cell, alone or with another prisoner that they dont know,,ive seen the hardest of men cry when they are on there own,, their punishment is being in prison,, its not our job to punish them further,,taking away their freedom is enough,

You're correct to a degree but I object to their keep being paid for by me out of my taxes, it sholdn't cost a penny a day to keep them in jail, someone like Richard Branson would soon find a profitable way of using their energy, there are always going to be those as on here with a negative view to making use of prisoners.

You don't have to be cruel as an incentive to making prisoners work, those who aren't capable of making this a reality are obvioulsy down to prisoner level in the Gorm stakes.

Archived