Greyhound racing - cruel to dogs, or is it fun to the dogs?

If you want to know about the cruelty inherent in the greyhound industry there's a charity called Greyhound Action which is dedicated to exposing this.

This is a link to some of the excesses of the UK greyhound industry which has some unpleasant photographs including ones showing a greyhound which had had its ears cut off, to avoid identification, and abandoned on a Middlesborough housing estate - be warned.

Any industry involving animals and money will, inevitably, involve cruelty however much those involved try to prevent it.

theres always an idiot in everysport the dogs love it are treat better than most breeds and a responsible owner will try to find a good home when retired

Until that can be said of every owner then it will remain a cruel and unnecessary sport.

ones showing a greyhound which had had its ears cut off, to avoid identification, and abandoned on a Middlesborough housing estate - be warned.

Any industry involving animals and money will, inevitably, involve cruelty however much those involved try to prevent it.

How is this too do with greyhound RACING ??

did this dog have its ears cut of while half way round the track ?? i dont think so. Thats the owners fault nothing to do with it racing.

GreyHounds are very lazy dogs but also like a good run.

Surely a responsible owner would take care of the dog himself? My family loved our pets enough to let them grow old with us. The irony of your comment is cutting.

I have three of my ex-racers at home: Sarah who was our first racing dog and was a case of 'beginner's luck' as she more than covered her kennelling costs, having 130 races. She retired aged 5 and will be 14 years old in January. Nancy is 4 - she never really took to the racing game (smart cookie!) as she came home to a life of walks and cuddles. Tigger was a hurdler and retired injured. He is a big bouncy boy and we felt he'd be best homed with people who had land big enough for him to exercise on. Someone with a very large garden took him on, and he seemed to settle well. However, whilst her garden was large, her house was not, and when winter came problems arose. In the end we brought him home, and he's fitted in fine. With hindsight, he is a dog who needs the company of other dogs. Other racers we've had have been home responsibly through retirement schemes or co-owners have taken them. We know where they all are!

I don't think racing a dog is in itself cruel. I have a lurcher and would like to race her (casually for charity) as she would definitely enjoy it. Chasing with other dogs would be her dream! She doesn't care if she doesn't catch what she's chasing (she's never caught anything besides a ball, not for lack of trying, and she's not an emotional wreck!). I don't feel she would ever give up chasing, I have never encouraged her hunting/chase instinct as she's a pet not a worker, and so she's never had praise or treats or attention for doing it, and never caught anything but she still does it with gusto if she gets chance.

The greyhound racing industry however is a different kettle of fish. Many of the dogs are cruelly treated, put to sleep unnecessarily, abandoned etc. I'm not saying this is all trainers, many dogs are also looked after well and go on to have a good retirement. But because of the cruelty that is involved in parts, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable supporting the industry as a whole.

Archived