Convertible car

I've had my TVR for over 5 years now. It's been out in all sorts of weather (including snow!).

Providing you can keep up 30mph or so there's no need to worry about the rain.

Although it's not the best on fuel economy it puts a smile on my face everytime I use it, plus the insurance is cheap.

I've done all the work on the car myself (wishbones, springs, dampers, servicing, etc).

All in all it's probably cost me £500 in upgrades / repairs, and is still worth what I paid for it 5 years ago.

If I'd bought an MX5 or MGF / TF the deprecation over the last 5 years would have been more then my fuel bill.

h

On a TVR, you are lucky.

I love seeing people cruising down the parkway with the roof down, when it suddenly starts hammering it down with rain, and they can't close the roof quick enough :hihi:

It would have to be hammering it down which usually doesn’t “ just happen”, in light rain anyone with a soft top will tell you that you don’t get wet if you are doing 40+ ( the turbulence blows it straight over you), this means you would have ample time to pull over and flip the top before it turns into heavier rain.

It takes seconds.

I have an MGTF. This is a great car to drive but perhaps not much good if you are very tall as the roof is low. Its noisy doing long distance on the motorway with the soft top up but very quiet with the hard top on. Its my second car so it doesn't affect me. The boot is a good size and we have had two holdalls and walking boots in there when going away for the weekend. We might swap for a four seater version and get rid of two of the cars. Each vehicle has its pros and cons. Your choice depends on your needs and how much you have to spend.

We have an MGTF - wouldn't own any other sports car tbh

really?! i'd love to hear the reasons

I love seeing people cruising down the parkway with the roof down, when it suddenly starts hammering it down with rain, and they can't close the roof quick enough

i love it when people think you're getting wet when it starts to rain, but in reality if you're going over about 30mph it doesn't touch you :)

i drive a 4x4 now, but i've owned 3 convertibles in the past...

mgf - this was my first sporty car. i thought it was awesome at the time but i had nothing to compare it to. it never really let me down mechanically, but the window leaked a bit and the boot also got damp and smelly so you couldn't really use it. it didn't really bother me at the time as i was in love with the car

after about a year i reluctantly traded my mgf for a new shape mr2. this was a similar size to the mgf but the build quality was much better and it was a better drive. the only downside was it didn't have a boot at all, but then the boot in my mgf was practically unusable so it didn't bother me

then i bought an s2000. awesome car. this was a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing with about 240bhp under the bonnet. it had the build quality of the mr2 but it also had much more power. it also had a reasonable boot and an electric hood. it was a very rare car at the time which was nice

imo, the only downside with all these cars is that you don't feel as safe and cosey during the winter months. i don't just mean driving wise, i mean within the cabin itself. also, another annoyance is that someone took a knife to the roof on my s2000

then i bought an s2000. awesome car.

Now you are talking, sometimes I whish I had gone for one instead of my Mx5 purely because you don’t see that many where as the 5`s are everywhere, then again when you take into account the difference in price I think I made the right choice, as for the MR2, I preferred the shape of the earlier model.

Now you are talking, sometimes I whish I had gone for one instead of my Mx5 purely because you don’t see that many where as the 5`s are everywhere, then again when you take into account the difference in price I think I made the right choice

the mx5 is better compared with an mgf/mr2/barchetta etc. the s2000 is in a different league imo

as for the MR2, I preferred the shape of the earlier model.

i also liked the previous shape, but i wanted to buy a newer car

Archived