Convertible car

• 3 weeks later...
just wondered has anyone ever owned one what car was it
1998 R Mk1 1.8 MX5. 2nd owner since Feb 2000.

and what are they like to live with?
Depends on (i) whether you like driving, (ii) your family circumstances and (iii) your life 'habits'.

If, as and when you get a convertible, it will eventually depend more on how much you like (i) the car and (ii) open top driving.

It was our only car for about 3 years before we had a child, and it was absolutely fine for just about everything you use a car for (commuting, touring, shopping, etc.)

There's a reason why we still have it after 11 years, despite:

• having a child since
  • being terminally broke (at the same time as we were expecting, with no benefits/JSA/etc. to tie us over)
  • country moves (incl. re-registering the car on foreign plates and local MOT testing)
  • plenty of £££s to upgrade to newer/better
  • a few performance cars (e.g. scooby WRX) in the meantime

If you are tempted by an MX-5, try and make sure it's not a 1.6 engine though. Even our 1.8 feels a bit 'long in the tooth' these days, so I'm looking at ways and means to "add some vitamins" (I'd like supercharger, rather than turbo, but...£££s :().

A little-known fact about MX-5s, is that one of the main reasons why they have proven so reliable, is because the original engines were designed to have a turbo...which was never fitted in the end (except on a very limited edition decades ago), so the engine tolerances are way over-specced for N/A use. The other main reason, which is obvious enough, is that they are a really simple (I'll not go so far as to say 'agricultural' or 'Soviet', but... :D) design, therefore with little to go wrong.

Archived