Tesco - evil and destructive.

So every time Tesco try and open another small store they go on about working with other businesses and how they don't want to infringe on local shops. So how come the one in Firvale has massive 10kg bags of Basmatti rice at what must be below cost price? And next to the till, big bags Bombay mix at half price, neither of which are stocked at the bigger stores.

They really should be stopped.

Heaven forbid that we should embrace competition in the marketplace which keeps prices down.

It could be that they are selling it as a loss leader . But at the end of the day , supermarkets slashing prices and starting price wars is a good thing for us consumers. The lower the price the better.

Surely you arnt campaigning for higher prices. ?:huh::huh:

I feel the OP may be a shop owner, who is in direct competition with a tesco store due to location. I could be wrong though....

It could be that they are selling it as a loss leader . But at the end of the day , supermarkets slashing prices and starting price wars is a good thing for us consumers. The lower the price the better.

It may be a good thing for us consumers, but what about independent traders? To sell a particular item at a loss, to be covered by the profits made on other items, is a tactic which is intended for one thing and one thing only - to stifle the competition in the area. Why do you think they are building a superstore on Saville street when there is one less than a mile away? It's because they want to take business away from all of the independent food shops in Burngreave and Pitsmoor. What's the betting they will have a huge foreign and exotic food section in this new one?

I can't stand the corporate behemoth that is Tesco and I refuse to give them my custom. They have some truly disgraceful business practises and they won't be satisfied until they have put every other small shop out of business and there is a Tesco on every street corner. They already have such buying power that they can basically dictate to dairy farmers how much they want to pay for their milk, in the full knowledge that the farmers will either accept it or go out of business.

A mate of mine works for them and he tells me that they have frequently used their massive capital to buy up land with no intention of ever building a store on it, just to prevent the competition from doing so.

Personally, I would much rather pay a little bit extra to support local businesses and maintain the choice they offer.

It's a good thing for the consumers until they drive their competitors out of business, and then they'll be able to sell their goods for whatever price they wanted too.

You don't see 10k bag of rice piled up next to the door in Tesco West Street. I am just questioning their ethos of not screwing local shops over, which is usually a large part of their defence when they get local objection to opening a new store.

The giant new Tesco was supposed to have loads of units for independent businesses, then Tesco suddenly decided they could not afford to put those in at the time of construction. They made 3.8billion and had to defer the construction of a few units.

You don't see 10k bag of rice piled up next to the door in Tesco West Street. I am just questioning their ethos of not screwing local shops over, which is usually a large part of their defence when they get local objection to opening a new store.

I wonder if its demand. Maybe people actually go into to the store you're referring to, and ask about these bags of rice etc, and so the manager sees fit to order them? Maybe the Tesco West Street doesn't get such a demand?

In what sense are supermarkets markets? There's no competition in store, you're just presented with goods at the prices they ask. In a real market you can choose which stall to shop at and prices are kept low by direct competition.

Compare prices of fresh produce in the Castle Market with any supermarket and the Castle Market will be cheaper.

In what sense are supermarkets markets? There's no competition in store, you're just presented with goods at the prices they ask. In a real market you can choose which stall to shop at and prices are kept low by direct competition.

Compare prices of fresh produce in the Castle Market with any supermarket and the Castle Market will be cheaper.

And local government seems intent on destroying the markets by upping rents.

How you going to have a market when people can't afford to trade.

It's a good thing for the consumers until they drive their competitors out of business, and then they'll be able to sell their goods for whatever price they wanted too.

No they wont as they will also be in competition from the other supermarket chains.

I remember a time when food prices were regulated and shops could not charge less than the RRP so there was little competition in pricing. Shops were also open 9-5, closed lunchtime and there was no 6 day trading. Now the RRP has gone and shops are open all hours but the smaller local shops still use a price guide are are reluctant to charge less.

Buying in local shops and also buying British means you have to pay premium prices. The success of supermarkets shows that people are not prepared to do that any more and want cheaper products.

When/if you do compare Castle market fresh products? you will find that in most cases the quality is poorer and that's why they can sometime be cheaper. From experience, supermarkets have a quicker turnover so the produce tends to be fresher and sometimes cheaper.

Heaven forbid that we should embrace competition in the marketplace which keeps prices down.

I bought Vine tomatoes today. From Castle Market they were £1.30/kg, from Emin (used to be Ozman) on Spital Hill they were 89p/kg In Tesco their loose ones are £1.99kg or you can pay even more for ones wrapped in plastic which are supposedly the finest.

So Tesco's monopoly is doing a great job of keeping prices down. I assume you assume their food is cheap. Soon you won't have any option but to shop there because they will have forced everyone else out of business.

Archived