Tesco - evil and destructive.

No they wont as they will also be in competition from the other supermarket chains.

I remember a time when food prices were regulated and shops could not charge less than the RRP so there was little competition in pricing. Shops were also open 9-5, closed lunchtime and there was no 6 day trading. Now the RRP has gone and shops are open all hours but the smaller local shops still use a price guide are are reluctant to charge less.

Buying in local shops and also buying British means you have to pay premium prices. The success of supermarkets shows that people are not prepared to do that any more and want cheaper products.

When/if you do compare Castle market fresh products? you will find that in most cases the quality is poorer and that's why they can sometime be cheaper. From experience, supermarkets have a quicker turnover so the produce tends to be fresher and sometimes cheaper.

Tesco's standard range of vine tomatoes are not a patch on the ones from Emmin and are over twice the price, so my experience is the complete opposite.

Tesco's standard range of vine tomatoes are not a patch on the ones from Emmin and are over twice the price, so my experience is the complete opposite.

One product out of a range of many and as said the market can be cheaper for some items.

I don't buy the ones on the vine as I'm not willing to pay for the vine as well. In fact the ones I grow probably taste much better and are grown from seed, cant get much cheaper or fresher than that.

One of the problems with local stores is that they are fine for some items if you suddenly run out but they don't have much variety or choice, because of that supermarkets will always win out.

As said in another thread the traders in Castle marker are getting a 30% reduction on rents to keep costs down. What do you think will happen when they move to new premises in a few years time? You can bet your life that the rents will be double what they pay now.

It may be a good thing for us consumers, but what about independent traders? To sell a particular item at a loss, to be covered by the profits made on other items, is a tactic which is intended for one thing and one thing only - to stifle the competition in the area. Why do you think they are building a superstore on Saville street when there is one less than a mile away? It's because they want to take business away from all of the independent food shops in Burngreave and Pitsmoor. What's the betting they will have a huge foreign and exotic food section in this new one?

I can't stand the corporate behemoth that is Tesco and I refuse to give them my custom. They have some truly disgraceful business practises and they won't be satisfied until they have put every other small shop out of business and there is a Tesco on every street corner. They already have such buying power that they can basically dictate to dairy farmers how much they want to pay for their milk, in the full knowledge that the farmers will either accept it or go out of business.

A mate of mine works for them and he tells me that they have frequently used their massive capital to buy up land with no intention of ever building a store on it, just to prevent the competition from doing so.

Personally, I would much rather pay a little bit extra to support local businesses and maintain the choice they offer.

Only thing I can add to this post is my total agreement.

So every time Tesco try and open another small store they go on about working with other businesses and how they don't want to infringe on local shops. So how come the one in Firvale has massive 10kg bags of Basmatti rice at what must be below cost price? And next to the till, big bags Bombay mix at half price, neither of which are stocked at the bigger stores.

They really should be stopped.

In other words the say and do everything they say they don't mean. Of course chain stores want to steal customers from local shops. Why buy stuff from a local shop when you can buy the same stuff from a chain store at a cheaper price? Especially since everyone is getting caned from the government.

Local stores would like to take customers from chain stores but they can't compete on prices, which is why they have to try and offer a unique service. However, if they find something unique it won't be long before the chain stores try and cash in on it; that's why a lot of chain stores have deli counters etc. Look at Morrisons at Hillsborough - family Butcher, Family Fishmonger for example. They try and use the word, "Family," to try and steal customers from local shops.

No they wont as they will also be in competition from the other supermarket chains.

Tesco's market share is around 30%, which is disproportionately high. It means the other 5 large supermarket chains only have 70% between them, less than 15% each if divided equally. For every additional 1% of market share that Tesco gets it increases its buying power which means it can reduce prices further which in turn means it can increase its market share and so on ad infinitum. Which means at some point it can put all the rest out of business and then who would go into business against Tesco knowing that they'd be putting all their investment at massive risk?

I just saw this Facebook page, and it made me think of this thread :hihi:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Basmati-rice-guy-You-got-it-wrong-when-your-mates-said-lets-rob-currys/203158806404037

Clearly, there is a big demand for Tesco's basmati rice (and they don't only stock it in small Sheffield stores)

These idiots are stealing a basic value rice (simply crap).

There was another FB page and twitter series on this- that if they had any sense they would have gone for Tilda- pure 100% basmati and best rice you can eat.

Tesco's market share is around 30%, which is disproportionately high. It means the other 5 large supermarket chains only have 70% between them, less than 15% each if divided equally. For every additional 1% of market share that Tesco gets it increases its buying power which means it can reduce prices further which in turn means it can increase its market share and so on ad infinitum. Which means at some point it can put all the rest out of business and then who would go into business against Tesco knowing that they'd be putting all their investment at massive risk?

[pedant]Technically it can't be ad infinitum as they can only get to a maximum of 100% market share.[/pedant]

jb

Archived