Manchester airport 4.99 for a bacon sarnie

You can get a sandwich, drink, and crisps on a Boot's meal deal in the airport though, probably about the same price

We did that last year just before we were boarding, better than paying for onboard meals, as for the butty, they would probably have been better off getting a breakfast.

Manchester airport is a rip off with everything.

I always used to take a big bottle of water/pop to last the waiting time and the flight. Now I have to pay about £2 for a small bottle or fork out the extortionate prices on the plane.

We can afford it ... just me and OH...but when I took my 2 grandchildren away I spent nearly as much in the airport as the flippin' holiday cost (OK slight exaggeration there).

Last time we flew (Jan) I had an old mascara lurking in the depths of my handbag and they wanted to charge me £1 for a little plastic bag to put it in. I just chucked it away in disgust. It was mascara whether it was in one of their overpriced bags or in my handbag.

I also feel that Manchester has the nastiest airport security staff. East Midlands, Birmingham, Leeds and Liverpool staff are much friendlier and don't make you feel like sheep being herded.

I've also waited longer at passport control in Manchester to get back into my own country than I've ever waited to get into the country I'm visiting.

It's the same mentality as motorway service stations - no competition so they've got you over a barrel. They know they can charge you whatever they like because you can't just go over the road and get it cheaper elsewhere. Either pay their prices or go without.

Surely you can stock up on petrol that costs about 15p per mile and drive to somewhere in a 15 mile radius for a £2 sarny?

ALl airports are expensive, a bar of chocolates twice the price, last time I was at Manchester airport I was going to buy a bottle of water, I fforgot what they charged for it but I said, no thanks and handed it back, I went to the lav and got a drink out of the taps...then got a free bottle on the plane

there are places where you know you will pay for through the nose for stuff - airports, service stations and France for instance (how do french people survive?) think on and butter some slices of bread before you go (except france of course, going through customs with enough cheese butties for a fortnight might look a bit weird)

Archived