Walsh's / rackhams

muppet

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Rackhams in the 80’s.

Hello Mike-s,

I too remember Chris Kroukamp (SPL), from 1971 time. He was a big bloke from South Africa, and was a salesman at Wigfall’s shop on Middlewood Road at the Hills’Boro Shopping centre. I was a driver’s mate on the shop van, and his shop was one of seven we delivered and collected from each working day. Hope this is the same person!!??

Zakes.

Rackhams in the 80’s.

Hello Mike-s,

I too remember Chris Kroukamp (SPL), from 1971 time. He was a big bloke from South Africa, and was a salesman at Wigfall’s shop on Middlewood Road at the Hills’Boro Shopping centre. I was a driver’s mate on the shop van, and his shop was one of seven we delivered and collected from each working day. Hope this is the same person!!??

Zakes.

Hi mate, Yep thats him, Did'nt realise he had worked at wiggys. Went on a bender with him one night after work to the rainbow (big mistake!) shared a taxi home and he asked the driver to stop at a pub at Heeley while he 'nipped in to get some cash', he came back and counted over six grand out in the back of the taxi! a lot of cash in the 70s. Never did find out where it came from.

Do any of you remember the Pinfold Street Warehouse?

Jim Grant was in charge, along with Colin Fitch, other names i remember working there were John Swift, Martin Little, Steve Wilson , Dennis??? who were Van drivers, Someone called Dick who used to man the phone in reception, John Llewellyn and Damien Moore.

Also going back to the store it's self "Trog" Evans who was on the bed department, Margaret Ward and who can forget Ambrose Maufe General Manager and Kath Allen

i know damien moore and brian moore worked there too

• 3 weeks later...
i know damien moore and brian moore worked there too

I remember a really nice old guy at the Pinfold st warehouse called Rowland. I was sent over there to do a stocktake one hot summer (radio & tv stock) It was Wimbledon time so I set up a portable tv behind a tall pile of boxes and it took me DAYS to count the stock!. Remember Mr Owen the assistant manager who used to spend all day walking up and down the aisles in his pin stripes giving us the evil eye?!.

Was it Rackhams that had a grand piano and someone playing it ,think it was near the escalator.

A bit late but it was when it was Walsh's, it was a baby grand situated near to the small escalator at the High Street entrance, the pianist wore a white tuxedo.

I remember a really nice old guy at the Pinfold st warehouse called Rowland. I was sent over there to do a stocktake one hot summer (radio & tv stock) It was Wimbledon time so I set up a portable tv behind a tall pile of boxes and it took me DAYS to count the stock!. Remember Mr Owen the assistant manager who used to spend all day walking up and down the aisles in his pin stripes giving us the evil eye?!.

i didnt work there myself it was my dad and uncle that worked there.

I think she may have worked on shoes 1st and then china where she stayed until she retired when shop closed.I remember she was there in 86 as we bought my wedding dress there with staff discount.It was a wonderful shop.

Before that she was at Pauldens(debenhams) and as a girl Roberts Bros which was on the moor where she met my dad.

hHI michelagle What years did she work at Robert Bros my sister worked there a few years but l think it would be too early 1930 ties Arfer Mo

I think she may have worked on shoes 1st and then china where she stayed until she retired when shop closed.I remember she was there in 86 as we bought my wedding dress there with staff discount.It was a wonderful shop.

Before that she was at Pauldens(debenhams) and as a girl Roberts Bros which was on the moor where she met my dad.

arfer mo replied