Walsh's / rackhams

muppet

That's a name I'd forgotten, Mr Maufe the manager. I'm sure he had a gorgeous daughter who I had a dance with at one of the staff christmas parties just before I left in the late 70s. Does anyone remember Denis Brown the radio & tv manager in the mid 70s, think he left to be a preacher or something similar!.

I worked at Walsh's / Rackhams from 1975 to 1980/81 -ish

I remember Denis Brown- he was our section manager for the ground floor and radio/TV. Decent bloke, if a bit serious!

Other names I remeber (as well as many of those mentioned above):

Radio and TV team:

John (Jay de Jay) Bremner

Terry How

Mike Spencer

Geoff (Hitachi)

John Llewellyn

Joan Rands (favourite saying - "if yer face were yer fortune you'd owe yer ar*e threepence")

Pru. Let's see if I can think of some more:

John Flatley,

Mr Owen and Miss Allen (did they really have a "thing" going on?)

Carl Maufe

Cathy Parrish

Heather Rastrick

Philip Dawson

Phyllis Grayson

Mrs (Cicely) Fletcher

Tony scaife (RIP bless him)

Doug Hartley

Barbara Tissington

Vivienne Booth

Ambrose Maufe (no comment)

I do remember Beverly Oddy from display

Sharon from cosmetics and Imogen Gordon that used to go with us to Richmond College

Steve Pashley

I could go on!

Great great times.

O'h, and how could I forget, my old boss, the one and only John Costello (legend)

I worked at Walsh's / Rackhams from 1975 to 1980/81 -ish

I remember Denis Brown- he was our section manager for the ground floor and radio/TV. Decent bloke, if a bit serious!

Other names I remeber (as well as many of those mentioned above):

Radio and TV team:

John (Jay de Jay) Bremner

Terry How

Mike Spencer

Geoff (Hitachi)

John Llewellyn

Joan Rands (favourite saying - "if yer face were yer fortune you'd owe yer ar*e threepence")

Pru. Let's see if I can think of some more:

John Flatley,

Mr Owen and Miss Allen (did they really have a "thing" going on?)

Carl Maufe

Cathy Parrish

Heather Rastrick

Philip Dawson

Phyllis Grayson

Mrs (Cicely) Fletcher

Tony scaife (RIP bless him)

Doug Hartley

Barbara Tissington

Vivienne Booth

Ambrose Maufe (no comment)

I do remember Beverly Oddy from display

Sharon from cosmetics and Imogen Gordon that used to go with us to Richmond College

Steve Pashley

I could go on!

Great great times.

O'h, and how could I forget, my old boss, the one and only John Costello (legend)

Wow! some raves from the grave there! I remember almost everyone of them, go on then give us a clue who you are - you mentioned me in your list - Mike Spencer from the TV dept, Happy days!

Wow! some raves from the grave there! I remember almost everyone of them, go on then give us a clue who you are - you mentioned me in your list - Mike Spencer from the TV dept, Happy days!

Very happy days indeed. What a great place it was to work, only you only realise those things afterwards.

Yes I remember you. You were in a band and drove a Cortina 1600E which I was very envious of! A cool dude and no mistake!

Geoff Mallory - that was the Hitachi guy's name.

I was trying to remember the name of the TV engineer service boss who John Bremner used to have a row with every other week!

Do you remember "shaaart wave " radios, particularly in demand by our Asian brethren?

And John Llewellyn's nickname for some reason was "GT" as in John GT Llewellyn!

Very happy days indeed. What a great place it was to work, only you only realise those things afterwards.

Yes I remember you. You were in a band and drove a Cortina 1600E which I was very envious of! A cool dude and no mistake!

Geoff Mallory - that was the Hitachi guy's name.

I was trying to remember the name of the TV engineer service boss who John Bremner used to have a row with every other week!

Do you remember "shaaart wave " radios, particularly in demand by our Asian brethren?

And John Llewellyn's nickname for some reason was "GT" as in John GT Llewellyn!

You're right about only realising later in life how good those days were, I really think a reunion would be good. Geoff Mallory, he went to manage a tv dept in Doncaster and I supplied him in my job as a sales rep in those days, don't know what happened to him after that. He was a talented artist and I still have a record cover he 'modified' for me!. Another name that I remember is Steve Charles, he bought my first ever car from me (Hillman Imp!) to enable me to buy the 1600E you mentioned. One person I would love to hear from is Jane Tipper, remember her? she worked on ladieswear and was a good friend. Anyway your ID still gives nothing away!, any clues??

You're right about only realising later in life how good those days were, I really think a reunion would be good. Geoff Mallory, he went to manage a tv dept in Doncaster and I supplied him in my job as a sales rep in those days, don't know what happened to him after that. He was a talented artist and I still have a record cover he 'modified' for me!. Another name that I remember is Steve Charles, he bought my first ever car from me (Hillman Imp!) to enable me to buy the 1600E you mentioned. One person I would love to hear from is Jane Tipper, remember her? she worked on ladieswear and was a good friend. Anyway your ID still gives nothing away!, any clues??

Steve Charles! I remember him. I remember him going out with a really good looking girl and wondering "how did he manage that?" !

Well I better tell you my ID. My name is Andrew Graham and I was assistant manager on Radio TV, but only for about a year or so, so you probably won't rememeber. After that i was manager of Soft furnishings, and then Linens, which was next door to radio and TV at the time I left. In fact I didn't leave House of Fraser completely, I transferred to the head office in Birmingham, then Manchester, and ended up in Victoria Street London as a buyer. In total I was with HOF for exactly 20 years until I decided it was time I moved on, and moved back up north, but to near Manchester, which is where we are still now.

Steve Charles! I remember him. I remember him going out with a really good looking girl and wondering "how did he manage that?" !

Well I better tell you my ID. My name is Andrew Graham and I was assistant manager on Radio TV, but only for about a year or so, so you probably won't rememeber. After that i was manager of Soft furnishings, and then Linens, which was next door to radio and TV at the time I left. In fact I didn't leave House of Fraser completely, I transferred to the head office in Birmingham, then Manchester, and ended up in Victoria Street London as a buyer. In total I was with HOF for exactly 20 years until I decided it was time I moved on, and moved back up north, but to near Manchester, which is where we are still now.

The "Sharon from cosmetics" I now remember was Sharon Kerry. We used to have some good laughs at Richmond College. Smashing girl.I also remember her being mortified for getting absolutely smashed at a party held in the store and being off work for a few days as a result. I seem to remember us as a group getting a collective b*llocking from Mrs Buckle (remmeber her?) the staff manager afterwards!

Then there was the fire wardens party held courtesy of the fire brigade. There was a guy whose name I can't remember, but he went, and got quite drunk, as well did, but he decided to drive home. The next dayhe didn't arrive until the afternoon and he was coverered in scratches and marks. Aparently he got stopped by the police and flung in the back of a police dog van - with the dog!

• 8 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I worked in Walshs/Rackhams warehouse on Pinfold lane from 1978 - 1982

Remember Colin warehouse manager, Phyliss canteen, Stanley and Bill on reception, john Kerrigan polisher, Colin  upholstery, Dennis and John, delivery men, Stuart on electrical , and Charlie from the TV dept.

my fellow dogsbodies ,Alan Widdowson, Steve Wilson and Shane , we had the times of oour lives. Great place.

Simon