Violent riots and looting in UK

I didn't agree with him. :roll: I asked that if his assertion is true why that might be?

Do keep up!

Keep up? I would have thought pointing out your propensity to change stories was evidence enough... LOL

Tell us another bit of how history is holding you back... er, sorry, excuses...

The youth cant get jobs, ...

How did their parents and grandparents get jobs? Did somebody come around and say: "Here you go, boy - Have a well-paid job?" I immigrated to the UK largely because there was no work (and no future) where I grew up. When I got there, nobody said: "Have a house, have some benefits, have a job!" I brought some money with me (not a lot) and I knew damned well that if I didn't find a job - any job - I would go hungry.

There are far fewer low-paid unskilled and semi-skilled jobs going nowadays than there were 40 or 50 years ago, but successive governments have trumpeted that as a success story. (A labour party politician speaking at my son's school some years ago claimed proudly: "We are getting rid of all those nasty dirty manufacturing jobs.")

Nobody says: "Here's a job working down the pit" or "Here's a job working in a steel mill." It was argued that young people would go to university and become qualified to do jobs in the new technological sectors. (that's what I was told when I was at school.) Nobody said "Go to university, get a degree in underwater-basket weaving and the world will place a well-paid job at your feet."

There are industries in the UK (notably the NHS) which have to recruit from overseas - because they can't find sufficient suitably-qualified employees in the UK. There aren't many jobs going for people who did some of the more 'popular' less 'challenging' courses at university. There have been numerous reports of companies complaining that the proposed immigration controls will deny them access to suitably-skilled and qualified employees. Why are British universities not able to meet the demand from the employers? Could it be that far too many students opted for less-challenging courses?

...they can't access affordable housing,...

Nothing new there. When I came to the UK, more than half my take-home pay went on paying for food and accommodation. I didn't enjoy a particularly high standard of living, but I managed to support myself. Most 18 year olds (and those who were older and couldn't afford to rent a house) lived with their parents.

they can't access education without becoming debt slaves...

Come on! - Be consistent! In an earlier post you were complaining about inflation. Inflation reduces the real value of student loans, doesn't it?

They can't even get a frigging allotment to grow their own food.

You want free land, too? You live in a city, don't you? Sheffield (like most other cities) has seen an increasing population and a marked reduction of land available for allotments during the last 40 or 50 years. Where is all the land for allotments going to come from? - Nobody is making any more land.

Do all those people who 'can't even get an allotment' buy fresh vegetables from a greengrocer or do they buy ready-made meals from a supermarket or a fast-food takeaway? You can't grow pizzas on an allotment.

And whilst they are denied the ability to work for themselves or put a roof over their own heads, then expect more of what we have now.

'Denied the ability to work for themselves'? Really? When did that change? Who introduced a law saying "You may not be self-employed?" and how did that law get through Parliament?

How the hell are they going to pay your pensions? How the hell are they going to pay the national debt down?

That's a good question. The present Ponzi-scheme relies on increasing numbers of young people paying the pensions of old people. If a significant number of those young people live on benefits, they won't pay much into the pot ... they'll take out.

In theory, I will soon start drawing a UK pension (I've paid into the scheme throughout my working life.) I'm a cynic. I don't trust the government and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the pot is nearly empty by the time I'm ready to start drawing out. Pension funds in the UK (along with health care and care in old age) were never ring-fenced. Every successive government ignored the problem - "It will happen on somebody else's watch."

How are they supposed pay their own way?

If they're not going to be able to pay their own way, perhaps they should stop borrowing now?

Kicking the crap out of the community won't help. But what else do you expect them to do???

I expect that the smart ones will get out of what they see as 'No hope' environments. The others won't.

I remember when the 'High rise' council flat blocks were built in the 1960s. they were hailed as being 'reasonably-priced accommodation for those who couldn't afford to buy their own homes.' Within a very few years many of those high-rises (along with a number of other council developments) had been trashed by the residents. They might not have been palatial when they were built, but they were pretty shabby once the (minority of) yobbos who lived in them had trashed them.

Life is hard. Life doesn't come with any warranties - nor has it ever done so. Life, for many people in the UK, is far worse than it is for many others.

Even the poorest UK citizen has a far easier life than more than 90% of the people on the planet.

The fist two disprove your point if you can count, the second two, well... :rolleyes:

You seem to be extraordinarily stupid; nothing in those pictures either proves or disproves anything that Shims said; perhaps you could explain how you think otherwise?

Archived