Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

The other day we were in the park, when a man was playing a throw and catch game with his toddler daughter.

A dog then came charging up to the toddler and father, the toddler was then frightened and ran to its father. The dog then began circling the pair and the little girl became increasingly frightened (the dogs owner was not too bothered about this - as he was texting away).

The father of the toddler then kicked the dog pretty hard in the dogs face, to which the dog startled, ran back to its owner, to which the dog's owner then began ranting about "calling the police".

I kind of understand why the father kicked the dog, but then surely the dog should have been controlled by its owner. It seems to me the dog took the punishment due to its owners negligence.

What would you have done in this situation

The other day we were in the park, when a man was playing a throw and catch game with his toddler daughter.

A dog then came charging up to the toddler and father, the toddler was then frightened and ran to its father. The dog then began circling the pair and the little girl became increasingly frightened (the dogs owner was not too bothered about this - as he was texting away).

The father of the toddler then kicked the dog pretty hard in the dogs face, to which the dog startled, ran back to its owner, to which the dog's owner then began ranting about "calling the police".

I kind of understand why the father kicked the dog, but then surely the dog should have been controlled by its owner. It seems to me the dog took the punishment due to its owners negligence.

What would you have done in this situation

If the owner didn't get involved pretty quickly then I would stop the dog using whatever means necessary.

Kicked the dog up the arse.

Ps: ..and same to the owner.

I agree. I hate cruelty to animals and wouldnt ever deliberatly hurt an animal but if my kids are at stake then im sorry but pooch is going to get its arse booted into the atmos, hopefully in the direction of the moron owner.

On another note,

This is becoming a regular occurance (agreeing i mean)

I hope this does not mean im black:suspect::hihi:

It seems dogs are not as controlled as they used to be.

As a child I cannot ever remember being threatened by a dog.

I did find myself agreeing with the father for his actions, although I didn't feel comfy agreeing with what I saw

My 'first' response would never be to hurt an animal. I would have thrown the ball first. Then if it carried on i would have showed my foot, but NOT hard enough to cause damage. although hard enough to scare it away. However if it carried on i would have. However even if it had of run of forthe ball i would have gone over and kicked the owner :hihi:

It seems dogs are not as controlled as they used to be.

As a child I cannot ever remember being threatened by a dog.

I did find myself agreeing with the father for his actions, although I didn't feel comfy agreeing with what I saw

I did. Infact i was bit twice. Both dogs off the leash, i went up to stroke them and before you know it SNAP!!!!

Bloody hurt but taught me a valuable lesson.

Dogs are cute, dogs a cuddly but dogs have teeth and sometimes an attitude.

I suppose my first action would have been to pick up the child, then call over to the owner to get his dog...and a lot depends on the demeanor of the dog doesn't it, you say circling but is that circling barking/growling or wanting to play?

Either way kicking the dog would not have been high on my list of things to do, it could have turned out very differently and ended up with someone being needlessly bitten, and if the dog was just being friendly then it may not have been forgotten either and his temperament could have been ruined forever.

I suppose my first action would have been to pick up the child, then call over to the owner to get his dog...and a lot depends on the demeanor of the dog doesn't it, you say circling but is that circling barking/growling or wanting to play?

Either way kicking the dog would not have been high on my list of things to do, it could have turned out very differently and ended up with someone being needlessly bitten, and if the dog was just being friendly then it may not have been forgotten either and his temperament could have been ruined forever.

Thats why i said throw the ball as a first response, my dopey mutt will circle if she wants the ball :hihi:

Archived