Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

Natural basic instinct once again as it percieved the child to be the easiest prey.
Exactly, the smallest buffalo is taken from behind by its legs and to the ground, the wolves are not stupid and know that the adults can inflict damage back.

I had a staffie that used to run round other dogs in circles then attack them.

I stand corrected!

Every dog that's ever tried to attack me, has gone straight in for the kill. Every dog that's ever come bounding up and run round in circles has just been waiting for me to throw a convenient stick.

There was no mention at all from the OP that the dog was being aggressive. So where are people reading that the dog was aggressive? Unless my laptop is magical and making words disappear.

The OP quite clearly states that the father was playing a throw and catch game with his daughter. So he must have been throwing a ball(you know them toys that dogs love!!)'' to his daughter, to which the dog might have seen it and ran up to them. The circling action to me sounds as though the dog wanted to play and wanted the owner to throw the ball to him/her. I know all of my dogs do this when they want me to throw the ball and not one of them is aggressive. If the dog was going to attack then I think it would have attacked the child and the father couldn't have done much about it. If you have seen a dog attack then you will know they don't waste time circling around, they will go straight for the attack.

However the owner was irresponsible because he shouldn't have allowed the dog near them and should have been keeping an eye on his dog.

The father should have stepped in front of his daughter and shouted over to the owner. Then the owner could have come over and put his dog on the lead. If the father was so concerned then he should have picked his child up and turned with his back towards the dog. So if the dog was going to attack then it would have attacked him and not his child. But I doubt very much that the dog would have attacked in fact I'm 99% certain it wouldn't. Obviously there is always that chance.

It does worry me these days how many children are petrified of on lead dogs. I get kids coming up to me all the time asking if my dogs bite/or would kill them. What the hell are the parents teaching them?

To the OP, what signs of aggression was the dog showing? Other than circling because this isn't really aggression.

Kicking the dog would have been my last option and I would only do this if the dog was showing signs of aggression.

These are my 2 killing machines. Please don't get on the wrong side of them, they would eat any child for breakfast. Obviously even they can attack but to ''kill'' seriously?http://imageshack.us/g/824/daisy12.jpg/

I stand corrected!

Every dog that's ever tried to attack me, has gone straight in for the kill. Every dog that's ever come bounding up and run round in circles has just been waiting for me to throw a convenient stick.

It was strange because he was ok(ish) with other dogs for a while, a little boisterous maybe, but then he would start acting strange and start walking round the other dog in ever decreasing circles with his tail pointing straight out and stiff until he got very close and then he would go for it.

His attitude with other dogs changed after he was attacked by a huge mongrel stray on Watermead school field many years ago, his attitude towards people was however the same, a big softie that made sounds like a dolphin :hihi:

Archived