Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

If you have seen a dog attack then you will know they don't waste time circling around, they will go straight for the attack.

Again a misconception, most animals do not go straight in for the kill unless far stronger or superior in size to the prey, most look for an opportunity to get in un harmed and will circle. I can only think of Lions at the moment that will go straight in for the attack, and they go straight for the throat using superior strength and bite power to get the kill over and done with quick to save energy.

A dog is less likely to be bigger or stronger than most humans unless its a child in which case they do go straight for the face/head, this is well documented and examples can sadly bee seen in the press from time to time.

A dog will circle kids if they are with an adult, but this is again down to self preservation, without an adult about they will go straight in to attack I grant you.

If you have any proof, or think I am wrong then please link it, I know it won't be hard to prove my point.

Its a pity because the rest of your post was rather good.

Again a misconception, most animals do not go straight in for the kill unless far stronger or superior in size to the prey, most look for an opportunity to get in un harmed and will circle. I can only think of Lions at the moment that will go straight in for the attack, and they go straight for the throat using superior strength and bite power to get the kill over and done with quick to save energy.

A dog is less likely to be bigger or stronger than most humans unless its a child in which case they do go straight for the face/head, this is well documented and examples can sadly bee seen in the press from time to time.

A dog will circle kids if they are with an adult, but this is again down to self preservation, without an adult about they will go straight in to attack I grant you.

If you have any proof, or think I am wrong then please link it, I know it won't be hard to prove my point.

Its a pity because the rest of your post was rather good.

Like I said if the dog wanted to get to the child it would have done. As this post it about ''protecting'' the child. If the father and daughter were playing a ball game that would state that the father wasn't stood next to the child. Unless they throw the ball from 10cms away from each other?

Anyway circling is not a sign of aggression. It's actually a sign of calming and showing humans/other dogs that he only has calm intentions. Also a lot of dogs use it for playing ball.

Like I said if the dog wanted to get to the child it would have done. As this post it about ''protecting'' the child. If the father and daughter were playing a ball game that would state that the father wasn't stood next to the child. Unless they throw the ball from 10cms away from each other?

Anyway circling is not a sign of aggression. It's actually a sign of calming and showing humans/other dogs that he only has calm intentions. Also a lot of dogs use it for playing ball.

Dogs run round sheep to worry them, for farmers to get them back under control, making the sheep panic into not knowing where the attack is going to come from until the dog leaves open just one path for it to take to freedom.

That's how you control sheep with dogs, its not because they want to join in ball games with the sheep, we use them to draw on their pack instinct to lead them into a desired location away from the herd (or toward them in the instance of rounding up sheep) where the pack can move in for the kill.

Packs take the weak from the herd and run round them to separate them and pick them off.

Dogs run round sheep to worry them, for farmers to get them back under control, making the sheep panic into not knowing where the attack is going to come from until the dog leaves open just one path for it to take to freedom.

That's how you control sheep with dogs, its not because they want to join in ball games with the sheep, we use them to draw on their pack instinct to lead them into a desired location away from the herd (or toward them in the instance of sheep dogging) where the pack can move in for the kill.

Packs take the week from the herd and run round them to pick them off.

That only applies if the dog in question is a working dog and had that drilled into them. If the dog is a working dog then I will hold my hands up and say you are right.

The OP hasn't stated a breed so who knows.

Also the OP never mentioned any signs of aggression. So who knows? We are all going on one persons word of what happened and they don't quite clearly doesn't understand dog aggression them self.

You can't just say that a dog is aggressive because it ''circled''. Unless there was signs of the below them I don't think the child or the man was at harm at all.

- Growling

- Snarling

- Curling lips

- Mounting people

- Lunging

- Snapping

- Barking aggressively

- Biting (even if it does not break the skin)

If the OP can tick any of the above then I will apologise but until that I stand by my word.

That only applies if the dog in question is a working dog and had that drilled into them. If the dog is a working dog then I will hold my hands up and say you are right.

No it does not, all dogs are animals and are dominated by instinct and not higher learning like Humans (people credit cats and dogs wrongly with human traits all the time), it is only because they are pack animals and rely on social standing within the pack that they actually even listen to us, thinking we are more dominant than them in the pack.

That's why cats wont do sod all for you other than rub up against your leg to get what they want, they just learn behavior that favors them.

All dogs are no more than domesticated wolfs at heart, fro working dogs down to the toy breads.

When they are out with their owner they are out with the pack leader, alpha dog, they will show little care for seemingly 'other packs' if they feel that you are a threat to the pack or your in its territory.

Its a mistake to think of them as anything more than what they are, that's how kids get injured and killed.

The other day we were in the park, when a man was playing a throw and catch game with his toddler daughter.

A dog then came charging up to the toddler and father, the toddler was then frightened and ran to its father. The dog then began circling the pair and the little girl became increasingly frightened (the dogs owner was not too bothered about this - as he was texting away).

The father of the toddler then kicked the dog pretty hard in the dogs face, to which the dog startled, ran back to its owner, to which the dog's owner then began ranting about "calling the police".

I kind of understand why the father kicked the dog, but then surely the dog should have been controlled by its owner. It seems to me the dog took the punishment due to its owners negligence.

What would you have done in this situation

Depends if the dog was showing signs of aggression. I would naturally protect my daughter and remove her from the reach of the dog, initially. If the dog was being nasty then I would, without doubt, give it a good kick. I would then think about reporting the careless owner for allowing his mutt to be off it's lead.

No it does not, all dogs are animals and are dominated by instinct and not higher learning like Humans (people credit cats and dogs wrongly with human traits all the time), it is only because they are pack animals and rely on social standing within the pack that they actually even listen to us, thinking we are more dominant than them in the pack.

That's why cats wont do sod all for you other than rub up against your leg to get what they want, they just learn behavior that favors them.

All dogs are no more than domesticated wolfs at heart, fro working dogs down to the toy breads.

When they are out with their owner they are out with the pack leader, alpha dog, they will show little care for seemingly 'other packs' if they feel that you are a threat to the pack or your in its territory.

Its a mistake to think of them as anything more than what they are, that's how kids get injured and killed.

You were talking about rounding sheep up in your other post so of course that was only applicable if the dog was a working dog. That's what I was getting at. If I put my dogs into a field of sheep they wouldn't have a clue what to do and definitely wouldn't start ''circling'' the sheep.

Obviously I know all of the above. But that still doesn't give people the right to say the dog is aggressive for ''circling'' that is ridiculous. It isn't a sign of aggression!

I can't be bothered arguing about it until the OP comes on and explains how the dog was aggressive. It just seems like people are reading a completely different OP to me.

You were talking about rounding sheep up in your other post so of course that was only applicable if the dog was a working dog. That's what I was getting at. If I put my dogs into a field of sheep they wouldn't have a clue what to do and definitely wouldn't start ''circling'' the sheep.

Obviously I know all of the above. But that still doesn't give people the right to say the dog is aggressive for ''circling'' that is ridiculous. It isn't a sign of aggression!

I can't be bothered arguing about it until the OP comes on and explains how the dog was aggressive. It just seems like people are reading a completely different OP to me.

you can bet that if the dog was acting aggresively the op would have said so, it sounds like the dog wanted to play and the op has a fear of dogs.

No it was not acceptable to kick it you viscous aggresive human!

If the dog had been unattended and "wild" then it is likely i would have kicked it but one has to bear in mind that kicking the dog could have really ****** it off making it even more aggressive...

However in the case of the OP, i would have called the dogs owner over and kicked him instead!!

Archived