Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

Unlikely that most dog owners could objectively judge as to whether the dog was being playful or aggressive.

Of course, if the owner had kept the dog on a lead in the first place this never would have happened. Irresponsible owner is responsible for the whole situation.

Most dog owners know their dogs very well and are exactly the best person to judge whether their dog is being playful or aggressive.

People who don't own dogs, or don't know many dogs, or don't know the dog in question are far less likely to be able to judge, as it goes.

This is an interesting thread - i did agree with the man kicking the dog but wasn't sure if it was the right thing to agree with.

Looks like I'm not the only one

So while you're here could you please say why you thought that the dog was behaving in a threatening manner? in what way was it threatening?

Most dog owners know their dogs very well and are exactly the best person to judge whether their dog is being playful or aggressive.

People who don't own dogs, or don't know many dogs, or don't know the dog in question are far less likely to be able to judge, as it goes.

But not objectively, it's like your kids - you never think the worst of them. The father may have taken playfulness for aggression, but since it's not his dog how can he tell!

Kicking it was probably the quickest way to get it to turn on him though, imagine trying that with a poorly trained Staffy or Rotty?

But not objectively, it's like your kids - you never think the worst of them. The father may have taken playfulness for aggression, but since it's not his dog how can he tell!

Kicking it was probably the quickest way to get it to turn on him though, imagine trying that with a poorly trained Staffy or Rotty?

I don't think that's true of dogs, at least not with responsible owners. I know I'm very alert to my dog's behaviour when she's out and about around other dogs or other people - she doesn't even have to get aggressive, just too excited or playing too rough, and she's removed from the scene...

Oh, BTW: If I have to keep my dogs on a lead in a public place, are you prepared to keep your kids on a lead in a public place?

Yes I will happily keep my children on a lead when they enter a dog's park. Although I have yet to hear of such a place existing. The magic word is PUBLIC a word applying to people not pets. Playing fields are for children to play in not a dog latrine. Do you pick up the wee your dog spreads all over the grass my children are supposed to play on? would you be happy if I came and whizzed all over your car/door/garden? Dogs are carnivores they eat things the size of small children. I'm not going to wait to see if the dog has come charging over to lick my children or attack them I will do what every other animal does when a carnivore threatens their offspring. As too all the, 'well my dog wouldn't hurt a fly' try explaining that to the children killed, mauled and maimed by family pets, which I'm sure their owners thought would never hurt a fly. If you want your dog to be safe from 'viscious' parents like me keep your dog on a lead and away from my children.

On a similar subject I got 'told off' by a dog owner for telling my children Dogs are dangerous, you never approach, or stroke a dog without my and the owners permission.

Yes I will happily keep my children on a lead when they enter a dog's park. Although I have yet to hear of such a place existing. The magic word is PUBLIC a word applying to people not pets. Playing fields are for children to play in not a dog latrine. Do you pick up the wee your dog spreads all over the grass my children are supposed to play on? would you be happy if I came and whizzed all over your car/door/garden? Dogs are carnivores they eat things the size of small children. I'm not going to wait to see if the dog has come charging over to lick my children or attack them I will do what every other animal does when a carnivore threatens their offspring. As too all the, 'well my dog wouldn't hurt a fly' try explaining that to the children killed, mauled and maimed by family pets, which I'm sure their owners thought would never hurt a fly. If you want your dog to be safe from 'viscious' parents like me keep your dog on a lead and away from my children.

On a similar subject I got 'told off' by a dog owner for telling my children Dogs are dangerous, you never approach, or stroke a dog without my and the owners permission.

I was loving this post for it's gormlessness - then I got to the bit I have made bold! What the f???? Where do you live??? I know of no dog that eats anything the size of a human! Fantastically stupid post - wish there was a 'like' button !!!!

You are right though on one thing - parks are NOT the place for you!!! You and other public park users are NEVER going to hit it off, on account of your being a nut job!

Archived