Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

If you are confronted by an exited or aggressive dog,try to resist the urge to pick up a child.This will almost certainly escalate the situation and possibly lead to an attack.Try to remain calm and place yourself between the child and the dog and as a last resort yes you may have to kick the animal.

Try to resist the urge? You mean the urge that's been there for millions of years? You know the one for every parent to wish to protect their child. Not everyone wants to know or cares about dog psychology. How about the owner just keep dog on lead or away from kids?

I've been in Longley Park this morning and had a dog related incident. My little Lakeland Terrier, 5 month old, was trying to play with a Bull Mastiff. The Bull Mastiff was on the lead and my do was not. The Bull Mastiff owner had a bit of a rant about me not being able to control my dog and it should be on the lead. Fair point and I put him on a lead when I see other dogs, but the liitle sod bolted off. He only plays and torments other dogs, he dunt fight.

Anyway then followed a scene from Benny Hill with me trying to catch the little sod. I'm embarrassed to say I dived twice and missed. Two nearby girls thought it was highly amusing. The mardy bloke was getting more and more annoyed. Jack, my dog, thought it was very funny. He even gave me a Muttley laugh.

I left for a third time and landed on the poor little mite, he didn't half yelp. This made me a little annoyed, if the bloke had been a little more humorous it wouldn't have got to this situation. We had words, he threatened to let the monster off the lead. I said, go on then. There was a slight stand off and a steely glare from us both. Then we both went our way.

I have a playful dog, he has a beast that has to be tied to him, I'm the one with the problem, apparently....

End of rant.

Does anyone want to buy a dog :)

I've been in Longley Park this morning and had a dog related incident. My little Lakeland Terrier, 5 month old, was trying to play with a Bull Mastiff. The Bull Mastiff was on the lead and my do was not. The Bull Mastiff owner had a bit of a rant about me not being able to control my dog and it should be on the lead. Fair point and I put him on a lead when I see other dogs, but the liitle sod bolted off. He only plays and torments other dogs, he dunt fight.

What is it they say about dogs and their owners Frank? ;)

You mean the parent should have sat down and reasoned with the dog? Nature gave is this skill in times of communication breakdowns, it's called violence. ...

No, I mean that parent should have calmly removed that child from the situation. A child upset at an animal's behaviour isn't necessarily indicative of an animal acting in a manner sufficiently aggressive and dangerous to provoke a violent and possibly inflammatory act from a 'responsible' adult.

...The dog owner should have had the mut on a lead or at least been watching its movement. ...

Indeed.

...Would you talk to a dog or perhaps have a chat with the owner if the dog was circling and scaring your cats?

Kicking the dog would be the last resort. It wouldn't be the first response.

No, I mean that parent should have calmly removed that child from the situation. A child upset at an animal's behaviour isn't necessarily indicative of an animal acting in a manner sufficiently aggressive and dangerous to provoke a violent and possibly inflammatory act from a 'responsible' adult.

A dog then came charging up to the toddler and father, the toddler was then frightened and ran to its father. The dog then began circling the pair and the little girl became increasingly frightened (the dogs owner was not too bothered about this - as he was texting away).

To me it seems the child learned a very valuable lesson of if trouble comes your way seek help. There's no other way to assess the situation other than a dog frightened my child, my child came to me for help, the dog followed and circled my child and me, dog got kick. It's human nature in action.

Kicking the dog would be the last resort. It wouldn't be the first response.

It was the last resort. The child removed herself from the situation parent tried to protect child yet dog circled. What the hell is a person supposed to conclude from that? This dog can't walk straight or circling suggests it isn't going to leave me and my frightened daughter alone?

You never really answered, would you see kicking as a last resort if it was a dog circling your frightened cats?

The other day we were in the park, when a man was playing a throw and catch game with his toddler daughter.

A dog then came charging up to the toddler and father, the toddler was then frightened and ran to its father. The dog then began circling the pair and the little girl became increasingly frightened (the dogs owner was not too bothered about this - as he was texting away).

The father of the toddler then kicked the dog pretty hard in the dogs face, to which the dog startled, ran back to its owner, to which the dog's owner then began ranting about "calling the police".

I kind of understand why the father kicked the dog, but then surely the dog should have been controlled by its owner. It seems to me the dog took the punishment due to its owners negligence.

What would you have done in this situation

The same to both of them. dogs are a danger to kids.

To me it seems the child learned a very valuable lesson of if trouble comes your way seek help. There's no other way to assess the situation other than a dog frightened my child, my child came to me for help, the dog followed and circled my child and me, dog got kick. It's human nature in action.

And the child learned that an appropriate response is to act with violence first, assess the situation later. Very responsible.

Archived