Is it wrong to for an adult to kick a dog thats threatening the children?

I've been in Longley Park this morning and had a dog related incident. My little Lakeland Terrier, 5 month old, was trying to play with a Bull Mastiff. The Bull Mastiff was on the lead and my do was not. The Bull Mastiff owner had a bit of a rant about me not being able to control my dog and it should be on the lead. Fair point and I put him on a lead when I see other dogs, but the liitle sod bolted off. He only plays and torments other dogs, he dunt fight.

Anyway then followed a scene from Benny Hill with me trying to catch the little sod. I'm embarrassed to say I dived twice and missed. Two nearby girls thought it was highly amusing. The mardy bloke was getting more and more annoyed. Jack, my dog, thought it was very funny. He even gave me a Muttley laugh.

I left for a third time and landed on the poor little mite, he didn't half yelp. This made me a little annoyed, if the bloke had been a little more humorous it wouldn't have got to this situation. We had words, he threatened to let the monster off the lead. I said, go on then. There was a slight stand off and a steely glare from us both. Then we both went our way.

I have a playful dog, he has a beast that has to be tied to him, I'm the one with the problem, apparently....

End of rant.

:nono: Naughty Frank

In this case the man was right. When I was a kid my mates and I amused ourselves one day by exploding penny bangers in front of a big angry dog tied up in a garden. The owner bellowed "I'LL LET THE DOG FREE IN A MINUTE!"

in which case we would have all deserved being bitten hard.

You don't say that the dog was being aggressive though - just wanting to play? Seems that the kid is nervy, perhaps cos the father is uncomfortable and the kid is picking up on this? The dogs owner had his dog off leash as he was walking it in a park, and knowing his dog to be fine with kids and other dogs could relax and send a text? After all, sending a text takes seconds, so what is the problem with that? The owner must have been looking at what was going on, or else he wouldn't know that the other guy was a violent git, and needed a short sharp slap himself!

As the dogs owner in the situation I describe above, I would def call the police, and if the aggressive parent tried to leave, I would follow them and tell the police I was following... Just because the father is scared of dogs, shouldn't mean he kicks one hard in the face... Then I would let the police deal with him, and make sure my dog didn't approach strangers (if he ever tried again - it might have altered how the dog saw strangers again) in the future... Any vets fees would have to come from the violent father's pocket - that'd teach him a valuable lesson too...

The OP doesn't say that the dog was volatile at all - it's not even suggested that the dog was doing anything but play... But the father clearly is, and his temper needs to be kept in check...

Funniest post of the week.

You don't say that the dog was being aggressive though - just wanting to play? Seems that the kid is nervy, perhaps cos the father is uncomfortable and the kid is picking up on this? The dogs owner had his dog off leash as he was walking it in a park, and knowing his dog to be fine with kids and other dogs could relax and send a text? After all, sending a text takes seconds, so what is the problem with that? The owner must have been looking at what was going on, or else he wouldn't know that the other guy was a violent git, and needed a short sharp slap himself!

As the dogs owner in the situation I describe above, I would def call the police, and if the aggressive parent tried to leave, I would follow them and tell the police I was following... Just because the father is scared of dogs, shouldn't mean he kicks one hard in the face... Then I would let the police deal with him, and make sure my dog didn't approach strangers (if he ever tried again - it might have altered how the dog saw strangers again) in the future... Any vets fees would have to come from the violent father's pocket - that'd teach him a valuable lesson too...

The OP doesn't say that the dog was volatile at all - it's not even suggested that the dog was doing anything but play... But the father clearly is, and his temper needs to be kept in check...

My bold.

You nutter:loopy:

Don't know, I wasn't there but no parent would wait to find out. Child was threatened by dog, parent protected child. Nothing more nothing less. I'm sure the man wasn't crazy. He just wanted to protect his child. ...

So if you're a parent it's fine to disengage your brain and respond immediately with violence in an ambiguous situation in which your child may or may not be in danger?

...Or people could simply look after their animals.

Indeed. Which involves not beating others' animals in situations in which they might not actually represent a threat.

So if you're a parent it's fine to disengage your brain and respond immediately with violence in an ambiguous situation in which your child may or may not be in danger?

Indeed. Which involves not beating others' animals in situations in which they might not actually represent a threat.

If you feel threatened and that you and your child are in danger you're not going to ask questions. You will defend yourself.

Had the dog owner perhaps been aware and called the dog back then maybe yes you could argue the dog was under control. According to the OP the owner didn't.

Would you honestly ask a person coming at you with a weapon to refrain or perhaps ask what their motivation is? Or would you just lamp them one and ask the questions when you don't feel so threatened?

My bold.

You nutter:loopy:

What makes me a nutter - the fact I wouldn't let a nut job try to get away with violence towards a animal who actually hadn't done anything to him in a public park?

If you think this guys behaviour was ok, you need your head looking at! Looking back on the other posts, seems quite a few others in Sheffield think he went a bit too far for no reason - especially in front of a kid you would assume he loved? Teaching your kid to kick first, ask questions later? Great parenting, eh?

What makes me a nutter - the fact I wouldn't let a nut job try to get away with violence towards a animal who actually hadn't done anything to him in a public park?

If you think this guys behaviour was ok, you need your head looking at! Looking back on the other posts, seems quite a few others in Sheffield think he went a bit too far for no reason - especially in front of a kid you would assume he loved? Teaching your kid to kick first, ask questions later? Great parenting, eh?

The statement you made, you know the one i emboldened?

Archived