The Bridge-Ford

AuntieBiz

Does anybody know why The Bridge in Ford is closed...there's nothing to indicate that it's closed for hols?

Judging by a recent work-based visit it's closed because nobody is using it, and I'm not in the least surprised. When I went a barman was sat outside reading the paper, as we approached the pub he asked if we wanted food, because food was off due to the chef being rushed to hospital. The food "menu" consisted of pie and chips, and lots of varied jacket potatoes. The pub was unkempt and needed a good clean. Furniture and decor needed some tlc. Last year's withered plants still adorned the hanging baskets outside. The choice of ales was woeful........ need I go on.

This pub, given it's character and location, well managed and with a decent drink and food choice should be able to attract a fantastic clientele and be extremely profitable. Don't know or care which pubco is running it, but it is typical of what's happening nationally.

I do hope it can be given a new lease of life as a pub, rather than becoming someone's nice private abode. It's such a shame that our pub heritage is being eroded this way.

The landlord has moved on, the pub has been up for lease by Thwaites for a few month's but it seems no one is interested. Would you be when the brewery want around £6000 per month for the rent, so unless a relief manger is put in, it will probably get boarded up like many other pubs. Not a good business to be in currently, thanks to the greedy brewies.

Someone has inquired about buying it but was told in no uncertain terms by Thwaites that it is not for sale.

What a shame ... good pub, sad to see it closed! Prime site for a another block of retirement apartments. Pity the buyer of the adjacent old toilet block currently being turned into a dwelling, boarded up pub on his doorstep?

What a shame ... good pub, sad to see it closed! Prime site for a another block of retirement apartments. Pity the buyer of the adjacent old toilet block currently being turned into a dwelling, boarded up pub on his doorstep?

Well I never knew the old toilet block was being turned into a house.

Due to the economic climate, not as many people are using pubs these days, cheaper drinks from supermarkets are not helping and high rents from brewies are just forcing landlords out. The only pubs that seem to be doing ok are the ones that serve meals all day eg 2 for £8. a landlord I know that runs this type of pub has told me if he was just relying on drinks sales without food, he would have closed a few years ago. It takes a brave man to run a pub these days, combined with the previous mentioned problems and the long hours that is why so many pubs are closing.

A few years ago landlords would have jumped at the chance of running a pub like The Bridge Inn, but sadly not today.

What a shame. Blimey, there won't be any pubs left soon. Beegee7 I agree with you, it's getting to be a novelty to find a decent pub where you can go and have a decent pint. : (

Try the Gate at Troway, off the beaten track, which is nearby, this is one of your traditional country pubs, serving cask beer (no John Smiths Smooth in here!), delightful beer garden, no piped music, no fruit machines, moderate your language policy, open log fires in the winter, dog friendly, locals even friendlier. Not many pubs like this left!

Try the Gate at Troway, off the beaten track, which is nearby, this is one of your traditional country pubs, serving cask beer (no John Smiths Smooth in here!), delightful beer garden, no piped music, no fruit machines, moderate your language policy, open log fires in the winter, dog friendly, locals even friendlier. Not many pubs like this left!

Thanks, we have been pondering the Gate so this is probably the prompt we need to! :)

Archived