How America reports British multiculturalism

Obviously, I do.

The Americans I've known are all Americans first and whatever else second. They don't regard 'multiculturism' in the same way we seem to.

Yeap, Ive always considered myself Anglo-American as my father is an American, I was born there but my mother is British. I have Austrian & Polish roots, but thats part of my fathers side of things. I know thats where I come from, but dont identify with it. That might be due to the fact I wasnt part of a Polish or Austrian community. If I had, I may have added Germanic into the mix of my identity.

I grew up in a heavily Italian by descent area, so a lot of people identified with being an Italian American, even though they were second, third or even fourth generation born in the States. I bet, if any of the qualified for their Italian passport, wouldnt fit in if they moved to Italy, because theyre too Americanised. They identify with the Italian heritage as thats where their immigrant roots are from and remember the struggle past generations had so they could have a better life.

I agree JFK, otherwise there'd be no clubs, or ex pat associations of Irish, English, Jamaican, Italian, Scottish, Mexican, Protestant, Catholic, Jew, Muslim etc etc

:thumbsup:

If they're American why are they referred to as Hispanic for example or Afro-American or Italian American? Why not just American? They're immigrants first. Hence the Afro/Italian/Hispanic.

:thumbsup:

That is illegal immigration. There's a reason these people are not allowed to come here legally. As a result, they have zero respect for our laws and the way we do things. Except, thanks to the 14th amendment, their children born here are all American citizens. THAT, they wholeheartedly embrace.

They need to amend the law to similar to what the UK has (except not as sexist & biased) as long as one parent is of British descent or member of the British commonwealth they can become citizens.

The upside is, if these so-called anchor babies ever go back to their home countries, once they hit 18 theyll have to start filing income tax every year and even pay tax back to the US if they go over the allotted thresh hold.

That is illegal immigration.

I never said it wasn't, but to balance that out not all mexican immigration is illegal. There are cuban immigrants and puerto rican immigrants aswell, who hold onto their own culture with equal ferocity. Then there are the asian communities that can be quite exclusive. My point is that immigration into America isn't as simplistic as poppins makes it sound.

Have I misunderstood something here, isn't the American society built upon multiculturalism?

Didn't America get rid of the culture that was already there, and then replaced it with their own ?

Hardly any help from others there.

mods removed my comments before but as they do not contradict any part of this forums terms and conditions i'll say it again.

sometimes you cant see things that are right under your nose and it takes someone else to point them out to you.

Didn't America get rid of the culture that was already there, and then replaced it with their own ?

Hardly any help from others there.

Good point.

But that not withstanding, Americans have made a good job of homoginising disparate nationalities into one American nation. Each respect and revere their own heritage but still consider themselves American citizens first and foremost.

Do all American children still have to pledge allegiance to the American flag every morning? (can you imagine that here?)

Also, does anyone know if islamic women wear the full face covering burka in America?

Just wondering.

Obviously, I do.

The Americans I've known are all Americans first and whatever else second. They don't regard 'multiculturism' in the same way we seem to.

They're certainly not obsessed with multicultuism the way Britons are or should I say appear to be based on the numerous threads which appear about immigrants, Muslims etc

Good point.

But that not withstanding, Americans have made a good job of homoginising disparate nationalities into one American nation. Each respect and revere their own heritage but still consider themselves American citizens first and foremost.

Do all American children still have to pledge allegiance to the American flag every morning? (can you imagine that here?)

Also, does anyone know if islamic women wear the full face covering burka in America?

Just wondering.

I don't think all schools do the pledge, not like they use to, as far as full face covering burkas, I'm sure there are some I've just never seen any myself...then again I don't get out much :D

Didn't America get rid of the culture that was already there, and then replaced it with their own ?Hardly any help from others there.

What's "their own" mean? :loopy:

The countrya is a mosaic of different cultures Try visiting such cities as New York, Chicago, Los Angeles or San Francisoc to see what I mean.

Archived