Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

RPG

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else seen this film, set in and around sheffield before and after a nuclear bomb hits us.

Quite possibly the darkest movie I have ever seen, i now feel very nauseous.

But very well made and well thought out

Anyone else got any opinions

J

Originally posted by aNTAcid

Has anyone else seen this film, set in and around sheffield before and after a nuclear bomb hits us.

Quite possibly the darkest movie I have ever seen, i now feel very nauseous.

But very well made and well thought out

Anyone else got any opinions

J

The film was very good until after the bomb dropped then it just went wierd. Bring back memories of what sheffield used to look like though. If any sheffielders havn't seen it I recommend getting old of a copy well worth watching.:clap::thumbsup:

yes i got a copy from amazon last year off the internet it wasnt too expensive' they came to our school (hillsborough) i can remember trying to play "normally" but couldnt help following the camera's about. they also filmed in my local shop at winn gardens. I cant see myself on the film but have spotted a few friends.

I would never watch that it would frighten me to death!! me and my friend were only talking about that film the other week. it would be far to wierd watching sheffield like that! although i was once reading a leaflet in rotherham hospital library from the 80s that said during that period sheffield would be a first hit city because of the nuclear weapons stored here 'pointing' at russia!!! is this true? im scared now think ill stop in today because ill be er safe here?! x

leddi - I was 14 at the time Threads was shown, and it certainly had an impact on me. Along with the government warnings of what to do in the event of a nuclear attack, which we discussed in depth at school, there was Frankie Goes To Hollywood at number one for nine weeks with Two Tribes (whose 12 inch version was indeed scary: 'Mine is the last voice you will ever hear; Do not be alarmed!!!!'). There was this whole uneasy feeling around at the time.

Ultravox had the song Dancing With Tears In My Eyes which was all about the last moments spent on earth with your loved one 'waiting for the coming stone'.

James Herbert's nuclear attack on London, where everyone escapes down the underground only to be savaged by mutant shaped rats - aka Domain - was published and although I read it around 1986 it terrified me (so much I've since read it again).

There was certainly a tangible feeling of 'what if?' around in 1984. Seems a long time ago now but is the world any safer, twenty years on?

Archived