Sheffield film 'Threads' - Megathread.

RPG

Originally posted by fox20thc

LOL @ K! you jesse! its not that bad!

Its not real!

:thumbsup:

Don't worry I got a big cupboard under my stairs K, if the worst comes to the worse I'll save you a space.

Kind offer, but I've got my shelter built in my cellar now! ;)

From Tonight's Star

TWENTY years after the BBC shocked the nation by screening Threads, showing the aftermath of a nuclear attack on Sheffield, city-born artist Ben Jones wants people to relive their experiences.

He’s been commissioned by the Site Gallery to make a new art work based on the drama documentary.

He’s after volunteers, aged 25-50, who took part in the film or recall how they felt when it was screened.

Ben, who now lives in Newcastle, says: “The majority of teenagers and 20 to 30-year-olds who grew up in the Cold War saw Threads as shocking and disturbing but the likely outcome of the nuclear arms war between East and West.”

People will have their stories recorded on video or taped and the finished project will be shown later in the year.

Send in a short statement or anecdote, with your date of birth and contact details, to Threads Project, Site Gallery, 1 Brown Street, Sheffield S1 2BS. Or you can e-mail threads@sitegallery.org

Entries need to be in by May 1 and filming begins at the gallery the week beginning May 16.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife was an extra in Threads - she was about 12 when it was filmed, a load of kids from I think the Woodcraft Folk were all involved in it (I keep meaning to ask her more about what it was like). I'd love to see it again - saw it on TV when it was first on, and I remember being suitably shocked & depressed (little did I know I'd just seen my future wife for the first time :)) but I don't remember a lot else about it, and I didn't know Sheffield at all back then - it'd be interesting to see it now I know some of the locations.

I remember watching this when I was young on BBC2 and all the kids talking about it the next day at school. I have had to bid for one on ebay got to watch it again, the last train was pretty poor watched it on sci fi channel on saturday night.

I remember watching Threads when it was first shown on BBC back in 1984.

As a TV film/documentary it was extremely graphic, and relatively realistic as to how ignorant people are about a nuclear attack (as if hiding in a house cellar is going to save you?). It also showed "life" after the attack, and how future generations adapted.

All I could think of afterwards was that I wouldn't want to live like that, and hoped that I would be directly under the explosion if/when it happened, so that I would be killed outright. I watched it when it was shown again on BBC a few years ago, and although it had dated somewhat, it still affected me in the same way.

I watched The Last Train on ITV as well.....a rather different story, but it had its realistic parts, e.g. how animals, especially dogs, survived and became fairly dominant in the world outside the "ark".

Originally posted by Ann_x

As a TV film/documentary it was extremely graphic, and relatively realistic as to how ignorant people are about a nuclear attack (as if hiding in a house cellar is going to save you?).

That wasn't meant to be showing peoples' ignorance, it was showing that they'd read up on it - I think the precautions people took were taken directly from the government's "Protect & Survive" leaflet which told people what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.

Never mind cellars, I remember the book's advice for those without an underground hideout was to paint your windows white (I dunno if I could even find a tin of white paint in the 4 minutes between the warning and the bomb landing, let alone paint all my windows), drape some blankets over a table and hide underneath it. I kid you not.

Archived