DJ mag poll - you're having a laugh

KidPhunk

May be being a bit slow here but i have just viewed the top 100 DJ's 2005 and i am gobsmacked - the top five are trance DJ's - surely their having a giraffe - trance is no longer and hasn't been for some time any kind of representation of the current club scene - wheres all the turntablist etc or the breaks DJ's or eclectic dj's that are way more skillful - just can't beleive that trance still dominates such polls - any views or am i just missing something here thought the days of the super clubs were nearly behind us!!

Well polls just print whatever is voted for- although all the big record companies massively push their DJs ( or even acts - theres a few Israeli trance producers in there - Infected Mushroom, Astrix & Yahel - rather than DJs).

But I know what your saying - the days of the massive trance superclubs is long gone - so who is voting for PDV etc... Then again you do see these big Arena events with PDV or Teisto playing and wonder who the 10 000 folk who go to them are...

yah, dont worry about these stupid polls, all you get is the readers of the mags voting, and all the bigger named dj's asking people they deal with to vote for them, as it helps promotion.

its all personal taste, i respect hearing turntablists, what they do is fantastic technically, but to sit there and listen to them for longer than five minutes would drive me mad.

id rather listen to a good techno dj, so this proves, its all personal opinion, and i doubt any of the lower placed dj's, or the dj's that didnt even feature, could give a damn about this poll

Erm, I hate this kind of "i only like one genre" discussion. It's barmy, blinkered and very short sighted.

Besides, I'd hate to be into only one scene, it must be terribly dull to leap on every passing bandwagon just because they're in the genre you like and it's suffering a lull.

Anyway, back to the Dj list. The big clubs in the country are still packing them in with the trance scene, regardless of how "trendy" it's viewed so it makes sense that trance dj's make the top five. Also, trance is the main scene in Europe and the survey is worldwide isn't it?

I don't agree with it, but PVD is a bloody popular dj, not my cup of tea. I'd have liked to see Optimo or Stuart Price get the nod but they didn't.

Ah well.

As previously stated its a popularity contest and its worldwide, doesnt necessarily mean Tiesto was the worlds best disk jockey for 3 years does it. He even said that Eddie Halliwell was a much more skillful dj than he but thats not important.

Being worldwide its obviously going to have different influences from different countries, the USA has a massive influence on the poll. The Carl Cox, Oakenfolds etc dont really play much if anythin over here anymore but they're well known in the states and because of that they still make the top 20, pvd also did a big US tour last year which wouldve racked him a few votes no doubt.

I'm sure the french are aggrieved as theres none of their tossy house djs in there bar David Guetta, but thats just because its only played in France. Trance, however, is played the world over still and just because the day of the badly run superclubs is over doesnt mean there's no support for it here either.

Just because there's no trance nights in Sheffield doesnt mean much, theres hardly much goin on here for any genres under the EDM umbrella.

would this be it?

Top 100 DJs Poll results 2005

1 Paul Van Dyk

2 Tiesto

3 Armin Van Buuren

4 Sasha

5 Ferry Corsten

6 John Digweed

7 Hernan Cattaneo

8 Deep Dish

9. ATB

10. Carl Cox