Can Todays Young Ones Hold Their Drink?

I blame cheap supermarket booze, many of the drunken idiots that you see in city centres are already drunk on cheap booze before they go out, but it's the pubs & clubs that often get the blame for it.

I blame all. The supermarkets sell the stuff way too cheap, the bars sell it to people who have clearly had too much (I found out the other day that it's illegal to sell alcohol to a drunk person), and ultimately the muppets who don't know when to stop.

What's really weird is alcohol is the only drug where people congratulate you on overdosing and your night's success is gauged on how little you remember.

What's really weird is alcohol is the only drug where people congratulate you on overdosing and your night's success is gauged on how little you remember.

I've had people say to me before that they had a really fantastic night at the weekend and couldn't remember anything they did. To which I asked, "how do you know you enjoyed it?"

They couldn't answer me, but nevertheless they fell about laughing at my stupidity.

A few weeks ago my better half and I were invited out for a meal,it was the Italian resturaunt just up from the City Hall,this was on a Saturday night.My daughter and hubby too,we had a nice time and left around 11-15 pm.We walked towards the City Hall,it was like a hell hole drunken women screaming young blokes fighting everywhere,drunks staggering,falling over some being sick,police and stewards everywhere.It was the first time in yonks Ive been down town the impression I got was the youngsters definitaly cant hold their drink like we used to,Ive been on some benders in my time but never behaved like the morons I saw that night.If you can.t take it don,t drink it,right or wrong what do you think!:loopy::huh:

Raise the drinking age to 21 or limit those under 21 to "beer" made up of 99 percent ginger age and 1 percent alcohol

A few weeks ago my better half and I were invited out for a meal,it was the Italian resturaunt just up from the City Hall,this was on a Saturday night.My daughter and hubby too,we had a nice time and left around 11-15 pm.We walked towards the City Hall,it was like a hell hole drunken women screaming young blokes fighting everywhere,drunks staggering,falling over some being sick,police and stewards everywhere.It was the first time in yonks Ive been down town the impression I got was the youngsters definitaly cant hold their drink like we used to,Ive been on some benders in my time but never behaved like the morons I saw that night.If you can.t take it don,t drink it,right or wrong what do you think!:loopy::huh:

Perhaps we should take a lesson from the French.

French women are renowned for their ability to hold their liquor.

Foolish idea - prohibition never works, it's the drinking culture that needs to change.

Perhaps it's the inherent Anglo-Saxon and Celtic propensity for drunkeness. No other European country seems to have this problem even the German speaking and Scandinavian countries where beer is also the drink of choice and the brews just as strong

Perhaps it's the inherent Anglo-Saxon and Celtic propensity for drunkeness. No other European country seems to have this problem even the German speaking and Scandinavian countries where beer is also the drink of choice and the brews just as strong

Hmmm... Saxony is a part of Germany.;)

Beer here is seen as an adjunct to a meal, but it's also often consumed very early in the day. (I had some workmen around at my house a few weeks ago and instead of having a coffee break at 10.30, they had a beer break. - Just one beer, but (to me) that seemed a bit early in the day.)

Beer around here averages about 5.4% (which, AFAIR, is a bit stronger than most British beers.) Oktoberfest beer is usually slightly stronger and Maibock has a bit if a kick (or a butt?) to it. - It's usually about 7.2%.

My brother lived in Sweden for some years and he wasn't at all impressed with their drinking habits. According to him, if he went to a party he was likely to encounter people who sat on a chair/stool with their personal bottle of booze, drank it, got drunk and fell off the stool. - Hardly 'social drinking'.

I suspect -as somebody else suggested - a large part of the problem for young drinkers is the habit of 'pre-loading' on cheap Supermarket-bought alcohol before going out. If you knock back 2 or 3 double measures of spirits fairly quickly before you go out, then that may cause problems for you during the evening. I was once told that 'no more than one unit of alcohol per half hour should ensure that you don't get too inebriated.' If that's so, then how can (particularly fairly young) drinkers cope with a 3-hour start?

Oktoberfest starts soon (and no doubt the tourists will 'indulge'.:hihi:) A 'Maß' of beer is one litre. No doubt some of the people (particularly those who go to the Hofbrauhaus) will drink 3 or 4 ... but I doubt that many of the locals will try that stunt.

Hmmm... Saxony is a part of Germany.;)

Beer here is seen as an adjunct to a meal, but it's also often consumed very early in the day. (I had some workmen around at my house a few weeks ago and instead of having a coffee break at 10.30, they had a beer break. - Just one beer, but (to me) that seemed a bit early in the day.)

Beer around here averages about 5.4% (which, AFAIR, is a bit stronger than most British beers.) Oktoberfest beer is usually slightly stronger and Maibock has a bit if a kick (or a butt?) to it. - It's usually about 7.2%.

My brother lived in Sweden for some years and he wasn't at all impressed with their drinking habits. According to him, if he went to a party he was likely to encounter people who sat on a chair/stool with their personal bottle of booze, drank it, got drunk and fell off the stool. - Hardly 'social drinking'.

I suspect -as somebody else suggested - a large part of the problem for young drinkers is the habit of 'pre-loading' on cheap Supermarket-bought alcohol before going out. If you knock back 2 or 3 double measures of spirits fairly quickly before you go out, then that may cause problems for you during the evening. I was once told that 'no more than one unit of alcohol per half hour should ensure that you don't get too inebriated.' If that's so, then how can (particularly fairly young) drinkers cope with a 3-hour start?

Oktoberfest starts soon (and no doubt the tourists will 'indulge'.:hihi:) A 'Maß' of beer is one litre. No doubt some of the people (particularly those who go to the Hofbrauhaus) will drink 3 or 4 ... but I doubt that many of the locals will try that stunt.

Did this anti-social drinking problem start with the easing of drinking hours?

As an old geezer I remember the pubs used to open at 10:00 AM until 2:00 PM then from 5:00 PM until around 10:30 PM. More significantly only Off Licences sold booze and their hours of operation were also restricted.

Young people are stupid also. I remember as a young man serving in the military we'd get paralytic on weekends and stagger back to our billets in a haze of beer fumes and false bravado although the sight of the MPs at the Guardroom did a lot to sober us up enough to be able to stay reasonably upright until we reached the blessed sanctuary of our beds.

Older stomachs dont tolerate booze very well though. II I were to go on a bender as in days of yore I would suffer a hangover for a month afterwards. Thus aging and increasing intolerance to it breed drinking wisdom and common sense.

Archived