Can Todays Young Ones Hold Their Drink?

I agree with HN.

Where I went to school, pubs were shut on Sundays and they closed at 10.30 not even 11pm) on Saturdays. As a result, the number of drunks wandering around town on Saturday evenings was very high. - They would 'get a few in before closing'. The pubs did shut at 11pm on Fridays (and they were going to be open the next day) and there was less public drunkenness on Friday nights

I suspect that the problem has more to do with the (perceived) high price of alcohol in pubs and the desire of many younger drinkers to 'beat the system' by pre-loading on cheap booze before they go out.

It's not a question of holding it but knowing when to stop

Exactly. I remember being quite pleased with my ability to sense when I'd hd enough. It gave me control over the lack of control. Maybe I'm not an ideal candidate for being alcoholic!

Obviously I had to drink too much a few times to work this out, but no more than 3 or 4 times. The key to noticing it is to slow down as you approach. Your modern drinker doesn't slow down enough and sails straight through the "I'm drunk enough to know I'm drunk and sober enough to stop after this one" phase. It's all downhill from there.

Archived