Manchester airport never opens new passport lanes

I travel through Manchester airport quite often and I have noticed that on my return, the new passport control for those people with the new type of passports that should make it quicker are always closed.This has happened the last four times I have been.The length of time it takes to go through to get your bags is a joke.I'm sure they do it on purpose!!!

I travel through Manchester airport quite often and I have noticed that on my return, the new passport control for those people with the new type of passports that should make it quicker are always closed.This has happened the last four times I have been.The length of time it takes to go through to get your bags is a joke.I'm sure they do it on purpose!!!

A sign of things to come as there will be less immigration officers, under the spending review :)

ive used them each time i've gone though, perhaps you've been in the wrong que?

ive used them each time i've gone though, perhaps you've been in the wrong que?

Careful you will be accused of being a nit wit, I have seen queues snaking back and forth to get through passport control while the other queue was empty ………… shhhhhhh don’t tell anyone or we will have to queue next time.

A sign of things to come as there will be less immigration officers, under the spending review :)

Not really, these machines would have been introduced regardless of any cutbacks in the immigration budget. Why do you need an actual immigration officer to physically look at your passport when it can be done by a automated machine if you have a machine readable passport.

To the OP every time I've passed through Manchester T1 the shall we say self service passport lines have always been open.

Not really, these machines would have been introduced regardless of any cutbacks in the immigration budget. Why do you need an actual immigration officer to physically look at your passport when it can be done by a automated machine if you have a machine readable passport.

I would have thought that would have been quite obvious. There are many reasons why immigration would want to look at a passport and/or it's owner.

I would have thought that would have been quite obvious. There are many reasons why immigration would want to look at a passport and/or it's owner.

But no reason why they would want to look at every single passport. The new machines mean they can pick and choose who they think they need to check.

Go on then do explain, why myself as a holder of a biometric British Passport need a actual immigration officer to look and scan my passport when it can easily be done by a machine.

The immigration officers bearly take nothing more than a passing glance at my passport when I've had to re-enter the UK and been unable to use a self service passport machine.

Archived