Manchester airport never opens new passport lanes

But no reason why they would want to look at every single passport. The new machines mean they can pick and choose who they think they need to check.

That's a very good point, I do remember some people that where using the self service machine's still getting stopped by the machines and sent to see an actual immigration officer.

That's a very good point, I do remember some people that where using the self service machine's still getting stopped by the machines and sent to see an actual immigration officer.

Quite so; I wouldn't want to suggest that you personally are a potential terrorist threat or wanted criminal, but it's easy to see why some people have to be looked at more thoroughly.

And, come to that, even though you're a harmless innocent person and so am I, we might bear a resemblance to someone wanted by the police. That alone would be enough for someone to check us out more closely.

Go on then do explain, why myself as a holder of a biometric British Passport need a actual immigration officer to look and scan my passport when it can easily be done by a machine.

The immigration officers bearly take nothing more than a passing glance at my passport when I've had to re-enter the UK and been unable to use a self service passport machine.

They may only take a passing glance, to the untrained eye, but it's what they are trained to pick up in that limited time.

Quite so; I wouldn't want to suggest that you personally are a potential terrorist threat or wanted criminal, but it's easy to see why some people have to be looked at more thoroughly.

And, come to that, even though you're a harmless innocent person and so am I, we might bear a resemblance to someone wanted by the police. That alone would be enough for someone to check us out more closely.

I know these self service machines do actually take your photograph and use facial Recognition to match it up to the photograph that is stored on the chip located on your passport. No doubt the 2 photos not matching up would be one of the major reasons for the machine not letting you pass through and someone been sent to an immigration officer.

They may only take a passing glance, to the untrained eye, but it's what they are trained to pick up in that limited time.

And as I've just posted the new biometric passport machines can also do that as they use facial recognition technology to match the photography the machines takes of you and matches it up with your photograph that is stored on the chip located within your passport. If the machine doesn't match the photos, you get sent to see an immigration officer.

And as I've just posted the new biometric passport machines can also do that as they use facial recognition technology to match the photography the machines takes of you and matches it up with your photograph that is stored on the chip located within your passport. If the machine doesn't match the photos, you get sent to see an immigration officer.

Yes, you still need an IO to ask questions and establish facts.

There will be less IO's around soon so the queues will likely to get longer.

Yes, you still need an IO to ask questions.

Yes you will still always need immigration officers, for a start non EU passport holders will always need to speak to a real person, but if the biometric passport machine matches up the photograph of me it takes to the one stored within the chip on my passport. Then there would be no real need for me to see an immigration officer. As the machine is doing no more than what the immigration officer would do. So hopefully it speeds up the re-entry process for the likes of myself, but with more people getting the new passports that's less likely to happen.

So yes it will save money by not needing as many immigration officers on duty and you could easily have a dozen or so of these machine working at the same time, where as at the most you may only have half a dozen immigration desks open at

anyone time. So it could still speed up the whole re-entry process.

Yes you will still always need immigration officers, for a start non EU passport holders will always need to speak to a real person, but if the biometric passport machine matches up the photograph of me it takes to the one stored within the chip on my passport. Then there would be no real need for me to see an immigration officer. As the machine is doing no more than what the immigration officer would do. So hopefully it speeds up the re-entry process for the likes of myself, but with more people getting the new passports that's less likely to happen.

So yes it will save money by not needing as many immigration officers on duty and you could easily have a dozen or so of these machine working at the same time, where as at the most you may only have half a dozen immigration desks open at

anyone time. So it could still speed up the whole re-entry process.

So, what happens when the machines break down? The officers that would be normally on duty, who are no longer required, will not be around to absorb the new flow of traffic. Get in line :)

The last time I arrived through Manchester airport, the machine rejected my bio passport twice, so I was redirected to the regular channel where the immigration officer let me through with just a cursory glance. It would have been quicker to have gone that way in the first place and would have involved just one officer, not two.

So, what happens when the machines break down? The officers that would be normally on duty, who are no longer required, will not be around to absorb the new flow of traffic. Get in line :)

No system is 100% perfect, who's to say a couple of immigration officers couldn't call in sick at Manchester tomorrow morning and with nobody to call upon immediately to cover. Like i say no system is perfect, but I see no problem in having a mix of these biometric machines and real immigration officers on duty.

Archived