Varifocal lenses question

Does anyone know if you can buy varifocals with reactive lenses for the sun.

Also, does anyone have any problems with varifocals as I'm not sure I like them but the optician keeps saying it's the best prescription for me. I feel I only need them for reading. I feel the top part of the lense only just makes a slight improvement watching TV.

I fancied a pair of half glasses but feel a bit daft wearing them.

I've tried them 3 times , 3 different quality lenses, 3 different frames and i can't get used to them.

I have a pair of safety specs with them fitted which i wear for 5 minutes perhaps 1 a week, and i manage because i have to.

Reactive coatings are usually added to any lens for a fee,i had them on mine.

I've tried them 3 times , 3 different quality lenses, 3 different frames and i can't get used to them.

I have a pair of safety specs with them fitted which i wear for 5 minutes perhaps 1 a week, and i manage because i have to.

Reactive coatings are usually added to any lens for a fee,i had them on mine.

I thought it was just me as I don't know anyone with them. Maybe this is the answer. I'll have another word with the optician.

Does anyone know if you can buy varifocals with reactive lenses for the sun.

Yes you can.

Also, does anyone have any problems with varifocals as I'm not sure I like them but the optician keeps saying it's the best prescription for me. I feel I only need them for reading. I feel the top part of the lense only just makes a slight improvement watching TV.

I fancied a pair of half glasses but feel a bit daft wearing them.

If you only need glasses for reading, half-glases are great (IMO.)

I started out with half-glasses (for reading only) but when I found I needed glasses to correct distance-vision, the optician lent me a pair of varifocals for a day. (His own prescription was very similar to mine and he lent me his 'spare pair'.)

I hated them!

I have good peripheral vision and I use it. - with varifocals, if you're not looking directly at something the prescription changes. I found that disconcerting ... to say the least. (Particularly when riding a bike around a fairly steep corner.)

I use bifocals. There's a line which provided a clear indication of what part of the glasses have what prescription and if I look out of the side of hte glasses I'm using the same prescription as I am when I'm looking straight ahead.

I went from Bi-focal to varifocal some time ago now and apart from feeling a little strange for the first day or two, have had no problems whatever. I'm coming up for renewal in the next couple of months but am in two minds as to whether I will have the reactolite coating on this time. Apart from the fact that I have a couple of scratches on now, I have found myself getting some really funny looks from the odd one or two when its been a fairly drab day outside but bright enough to affect the lenses...one even stuck their face in mine and said "sunglasses":?: as if I was the mad one.

I don't know what to do to be honest and I suppose it will be a decision I shall make when I speak to the optician.

I have worn variiofocals for years. I have never had a problem, I also always have reactons, couldn't do without them now. I bought a pair in the winter without reactions, and didn't realise how much I need reactions. The light bothered me with plain lenses.

I would go for it.

Archived