Gluten free cakes

I used to make my own gluten free fruit cake and the big problem is that what people already regard as a heavy cake becomes a whole lot heavier if you're not careful.

Flours which are gluten free tend to make cakes which are more dense than wheat flour, so I'd use something like a mixed gluten free flour (Dove House make a good one) and then ensure that there's plenty of gluten free baking powder in the mix along with separating the eggs and folding in the egg whites as meringue to increase the contained air.

Had you considered baking your own and then getting someone else to ice it? That way round you know that it will meet your own standards (and is indeed gluten free).

Sugar Junction-Manchester

http://www.sugarjunction.co.uk/

Hello. I have not had a wedding cake from there but I have had them cater a tea party at my home (in Sheffield) and also visited their tearoom in Manchester. On both occasions they baked goods specially for a friend with a gluten/wheat allergy. She said they were AMAZING, literally the best gluten free product she had ever had!

They might not have it listed as something they do on their website, but Sue who runs it is lovely and very good at catering to requirment, so maybe give her a call.

Yes Peaches :)

My neighbour makes gluten free cakes, they are delicious. She made my dads cake for his wedding, and it was amazing. a real special part of the evening when everyone sat down to sample. They had 3 tiers. One was fruit cake, one was chocolate lime and chilli and one was carrot cake. People couldn't believe they were gluten free. She makes cakes and sells them to cafes, and at farmers markets. If you want her details feel free to PM me.

Archived