Any Info About A Painting?

old tup

Cheers Retep=The view was from where the Power Station was built later,the building looks like the water tilt mill which was demolished around 1930 and the goit was filled in.I remember the far end cellar being flooded to the top of the stair as a nipper,it must have come from the old goit soaking into the cottage.The area was a real beauty spot despoiled in later years,the price of progress I suppose!Old Tup:roll::(

I hadn't seen that one. One of my particular interests is the cemetery, and I'm wondering what is happening at the top near the railway bridge - unless it's just a concentration of monuments (though one of them is red?).

I'll have to look out for the original..

Hugh

HughW-Have you spotted the train on the right hand side?where the 3 boys are at the river a cooling tower was built,the field behind was all covered in thousands of tons of coal,drag scrapers pulled it into a hopper by the river,it went across on a conveyer belt to the furnaces at the power station.When our old man first stayed at the cottage it had a demolishion order on it,he worked on it,called the inspectors back and it was lifted!,that was in the 40s.

I hadn't seen that one. One of my particular interests is the cemetery, and I'm wondering what is happening at the top near the railway bridge - unless it's just a concentration of monuments (though one of them is red?).

I'll have to look out for the original..

Hugh

Seems a big patch of red

the cemetery boundary hedge would be where the iron railing edged path was, leading up to the white bridge.

Not sure what you mean by the white bridge?

old tup - I saw the train, and I think the smoke beyond the bridge is another in the cutting. The 19th century artists of Sheffield loved to put trains in their pictures.

Hugh

Not sure what you mean by the white bridge?

old tup - I saw the train, and I think the smoke beyond the bridge is another in the cutting. The 19th century artists of Sheffield loved to put trains in their pictures.

Hugh

The white bridge was the iron footbridge over the railway, now demolished.

Archived