Could any aviation buffs identify this?

It is painted in 92 Squadron (East India) colours when they were the RAF aerobatic team for a short while.This is the one that is on static display at Elvington airfield near York. They were called The Blue Diamonds.Elvington say they were based at RAF Leconfield.Funny that as my first posting after training was to 92 Squadron RAF Middleton-St-George.Perhaps not quite so funny because when I went to Admin Office to collect warrants and stuff, no one knew where it was!

Thanks :) doesn't really matter what version, just needed to know its name - Hawker Hunter (and imo a damn fine looking aircraft)

Excellent aircraft,ground attack roles,some were fitted out to do photo recce.

I spent about 5 years on Hunter Squadrons and loved it.208 Squadron in Bahrein

when the VC10s were in service,the hunters couldn't catch it in a climb! 20 Squadron in Singapore and ChiangMai N.Thailand,stopping the communists coming through Thailand,when they found out I was there they went to Vietnam instead,so that was my fault :suspect:It's a good job they did as there was only about 40 of us there. We were told if anything happened our job was to get the Hunters away and they would return to Singapore.

Thanks :) doesn't really matter what version, just needed to know its name - Hawker Hunter (and imo a damn fine looking aircraft)

Lots of people reckon the Spitfire is the most beautiful aircraft, but I think the hunter is up there on a par with it.

Excellent aircraft,ground attack roles,some were fitted out to do photo recce.

I spent about 5 years on Hunter Squadrons and loved it.208 Squadron in Bahrein

when the VC10s were in service,the hunters couldn't catch it in a climb! 20 Squadron in Singapore and ChiangMai N.Thailand,stopping the communists coming through Thailand,when they found out I was there they went to Vietnam instead,so that was my fault :suspect:It's a good job they did as there was only about 40 of us there. We were told if anything happened our job was to get the Hunters away and they would return to Singapore.

The VC10s are still in service ... just.

I'd be surprised if a Hunter couldn't catch a VC10 in a climb.

Archived