Advice on painting/ papering on fresh plaster!

I had my bedroom walls skimmed last Sunday (just over a week ago). I am painting 3 of those walls and papering 1, but I have heard so many stories about when and how I need to do it!

I have heard wallpaper needs to be left for weeks as if put on too soon, it can wrinkle as the plaster dries further. How long do I really need to leave it? Do I need to prep the wall first or can I paper straight onto it? I wasn't planning on papering straight away anyway and was going to paint it all first, so can I paper straight onto the painted wall?

As for the painting- I am even more confused! My plasterer left me a bucket of unibond, but I have no idea what to do with it! Do I mix it with the paint or do I paint it on first? I have also heard reports that you shouldn't use unibond at all as it can reactivate the coat under the plaster?! (or something!)

I have been advised to just use matt emulsion (which I already have), and water down 50/50 and do 2 or 3 coats, then paint as normal.

How long before I should paint at all? As I said, its been a week and the plaster is now pink and dusty!

Would appreciate advice from trade decoraters who know what they are talking about as I don't want to ruin my lovely new walls!

Thank you!

It was always said that you have to size the wall you want to paper or paint, meaning paint on a coat of wallpaper paste. The reason being that the new plaster is very absorbent,and would suck the paste out quickly and paper would not stick. The unibond can be used [ diluted ] to do the same thing.

putting unibond on top of plaster is the last thing you should do . Plaster dries from the outside in . If you seal it to soon you trap the moisture. You can paint it with a mist coat of watered down emulsion first then later with neat emulsion, You must not use anything that seals it, like oil based or egg shell paint until it has dried completely about six months If you paper to soon the worst thing that can happen is that the paper will come off. Repeat , Do not use Unibond on freshly plastered walls.

Archived