Salmon Pastures Attercliffe

coyleys

I used to work there.

They are all gone now Shirecliffe Stannington Granville Norton Richmond and all those little places were all banded together under the umbrella of the Sheffield College. Since which they have all been firstly screwed up and then Shirecliffe, Richmond and all the small outreach centres like Salmon Pastures and Newhall Road have been closed.

The building and joinery trades are now done at Castle college South side (Castle North side is what used to be called Granville College) and the Heat and vent and plumbing etc. is done at Olive Grove Centre which is the old Ancon Clark site that was at the end of Olive Grove Rd.

The place is like a shoe box too many crammed into too little space and insufficient funding for the courses.

I went to Granville myself back in the 60s when it was a proper college.

When I was doing the drama diploma at Shirecliffe College, way, way back in 82, part of the stage management sector of the course incolved kearnigng how to sesign and buils stage sets.

We went to the carpentry and joinery department, and learnt the carpentry skills necessary to build "flats" (the flat boards of scenery which are used in productions as backgrounds)

It was very interesting, and ensured that I at least knew one end of a tenon saw from another, and knew my way around a hammer.

PT

• 4 months later...

Yep, I went there to learn carpentry and joinery in the late sixties on day release. The tutor was a guy called Mr Albert White, what a charming character he was. Good college.

It was situated at attercliffe near two pubs, one called the washford arms and the other called the bulldog, just past there was a large tore called John Banners.

Hope this helps

Archived