I've been ripped off, what can I do?

Hi all. I bought a tent from a forum member, who assured me it was all there. I trusted him as I'd bought from him in the past. I've only just managed to get the tent out after 3months (a long time I know). Between work, kids ill parents, one with a terminal brain tumour and a partner suffering from severe depression, it's been busy to say the least. I decided to check it was ok for our holiday this week. There are only the inner sheets there, no outer. I've been back to challenge him about it , he refuses to give me my cash back and insists he is moving tomorrow and hasn't got time to look for it.

I know I shouldn't have been so trusting but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and that not everyone is a scum bag wanting to rip you off. The kids are devestated now we can't go away camping. I can't really afford to buy another tent as I have to save up to get the Landrover fixed. I don't think I'll get another week off for a while as I have to pick my Dad up a week on Weds and get back into the routine of Hospital apts and MRI scans.

I thought we would all be able to unwind after the horrible year we've had. (Dad has terminal brain cancer)

Why do people do this? I must have MUG written accross my head!

Any advice appart from serves you right!:(

If you need to borrow a tent, pm me. I have a couple, including a large-ish family type with a stand up central cooking/sitting area and two separate side 'bedrooms' which might suit your needs.

Not too big when packed up and easy to assemble.

name and shame should be allowed in cases like this

It still comes down to one person's word against another's. Why would the forum owner want to take the risk of being sued because one member accused another member of ripping them off?

Sadly, I don't think there is a great deal that debs can do about it. The forum classifieds are very much caveat emptor - if you don't check that what you're getting is what you're supposed to be getting, you have no comeback when your fingers get burned.

If you need to borrow a tent, pm me. I have a couple, including a large-ish family type with a stand up central cooking/sitting area and two separate side 'bedrooms' which might suit your needs.

I really hoped someone would come to the rescue like this. Well done Conrod.

i was on the other side of that a while back. i sold a phone on ebay.

5 weeks later the guy emailed me to say it was not as described and he lodged an email complaint about it.

my line was, he had 5 weeks to decide it was ok or not.

unfortunately for you, the seller coulod be a really nice and trustworthy guy, but if i was him and had sold something then 3 months later the buyer came back unhappy i would probably do the same as he is doing.

Mollie. name and shame. take a breath and dont be so silly. the guy sold something 3 months ago. its a distant memory for him. he probably did nothing wrong apart from forgetfulnes

if you had spotted it was incomplete when you bouight it or maybe inside a week or two i bet he would have looked and found the rest of the tent. (its easy to pack tents away seperate as they need to be dry before packing i often have my groundsheet not packed with the rest ot the tent)

i just dont think you where ripped off.

i think if you had told the seller you where missing somehting quickly he would have sorted it.

just leave it 3 months and your no longer important to him

hi all. I bought a tent from a forum member, who assured me it was all there. I trusted him as i'd bought from him in the past. I've only just managed to get the tent out after 3months (a long time i know). Between work, kids ill parents, one with a terminal brain tumour and a partner suffering from severe depression, it's been busy to say the least. I decided to check it was ok for our holiday this week. There are only the inner sheets there, no outer. I've been back to challenge him about it , he refuses to give me my cash back and insists he is moving tomorrow and hasn't got time to look for it.

I know i shouldn't have been so trusting but i like to give people the benefit of the doubt and that not everyone is a scum bag wanting to rip you off. The kids are devestated now we can't go away camping. I can't really afford to buy another tent as i have to save up to get the landrover fixed. I don't think i'll get another week off for a while as i have to pick my dad up a week on weds and get back into the routine of hospital apts and mri scans.

I thought we would all be able to unwind after the horrible year we've had. (dad has terminal brain cancer)

why do people do this? I must have mug written accross my head!

Any advice appart from serves you right!:(

what kind of tent and what man is it as i have 3 spare ones thsat have had bits missing u could have em if u want if they fit one is a traditional peaked 3 man ten other is a proline argos tent 3+3 no poles but loads of ground pind holdall and outer tent with two seperate inner tents pm me if i can help!!!

Well done that man! :thumbsup:

Archived