Will the 2012 London Olympics be scrapped?

I think they'd do an about turn and get the Army in for that.

Although how BAD would England look if we had to have the Olympics under martial law? We'd look even more foolish to the rest of the world than we currently do!

If things got so bad that martial law had to be imposed, then indeed the Olympics would be under threat.

But, as I say, they would have to be several orders of magnitude worse than they are currently; and they would have to continue for weeks on end. In my entire lifetime the Army has never been called in to serve on home soil, except as replacement firemen and ambulance drivers.

The current riots are spreading across London and the Met Police (and economy) are already stretched to breaking point.

Will we hand over the Olympic mantle? London will be trashed at this rate?

What will this cost and can we afford it? Not to mention funding our fighting forces in Afghanistan and in Libya, too?

Oh dear. Should we all now run out and stock up on bread, milk & baby food?

The fighting took place on the continent from what I've read - not home soil - unless you count the role of the army in Ireland during the uprising.

The pedant in me wants to point out that the courageous aviators of the Royal Air Corps and early Royal Air Force played a crucial role from home soil in the First World War, and other armed personnel worked alongside civilians on the Home Front.

Admittedly most (6m) were just cannon fodder in foreign lands. :(

But I was really just having a humorous laugh at the idea of HeadingNorth being really old. :)

I wish we didn't have the Olympics to pay for :(

I've never understood why politicians see hosting international events as a good thing. We plough lots of money into it, create a few very short-lived jobs and then clean up after.

It causes upgrades of facilities and infrastructure, especially in this case of sporting and transport, which have long term benefits. It also generates a lot of international tourism. Finally, it also raises the importance of the country on the international stage. All of these increase business.

Archived