Buying a small car

Hi im looking to buy a small car for my daughter who is 18 and has just passed her test ... as you maybe aware the insurance is sky high for her ,, as anyone got any ideas on what type of car we need to be looking at and where we should go to buy a decent one with a budget about a grand !! help we need good advice ..Thanks

Go with anything that has a 1 litre engine (no more!!!). For a grand you're best off looking for a second hand car from somewhere like Autotrader. Abviously though for that price you're looking at an oldish car, which in my experience will have work needing doing to it almost as soon as you buy it!

I bought my first car when I was 28, and despite having held my license for 10 years and driving regularly with work, and I had never owned a car before, I was quoted £800 for my 1.2 Clio. Obviously this was because I had never held personal insurance before and accumulated zero no claims. For me this was a fortune, so I pity young drivers who've just passed their test these days.

Good luck to you and your daughter!

Don't be fooled about insurance groups and a lower group being cheaper - it quite often isn't. I've gone from a group 6 to a group 14 car and the insurance came down.

My brother found a group 8 diesel Peugeot 306 cheaper than a group 1 Corsa.

Get a broker to do the legwork and find the cheapest make and model car, then do the comparison sites.

Insurance will be a much bigger cost than the car so look on ebay or autotrader for various small cars but it may well be better to stay away from clio, saxo etc as they are popular and often crashed. Small suzuki, daihatsu etc models that are uncool and less likely to be stolen etc have better records for not being crashed might well help.

In terms of where to buy at this price private sales are best as dealers mark ups means their stock at this level is a lot more expensive. Get someone who knows a bit about cars to come and look at some with you and take it from there.

I had a morris minor as a first car for my daughter- you should be able to get one for £1000. The positives are that as a classic car there is no road tax and insurance through the owners club insurer was about £ 80. After a year she had got some no claims and so we changed to a Ford Ka. Simples!!

Im 19, and i pay 1700 for a Fiat Punto 1.2. The cheapest car i found was a Renault Clio, Saxo's are pretty steep also a vauxhall Corsa is another cheap option (1L only) to take the price down of the insurance add your self as a NAMED driver which will also reduce the cost.

Don't be fooled about insurance groups and a lower group being cheaper - it quite often isn't. I've gone from a group 6 to a group 14 car and the insurance came down.

My brother found a group 8 diesel Peugeot 306 cheaper than a group 1 Corsa.

Get a broker to do the legwork and find the cheapest make and model car, then do the comparison sites.

True,i was on my ex partners insurance as a named driver and had no,No claims and i was getting quotes for £850 on a punto 05 plate.I thought it was too high,so i then put in a quote for a skoda fabia insurance group 1 and was getting the same price.I then put i had 5+ yrs no claims and it came right down to £300.im 38.Its legalised robbery.

Archived