Stuff we've looked at whilst shopping online - it's following us!

There is a setting in Google Chrome browser which stops the tracking. It will still show ads just not the "follow you around" type ads

Thanks for the info jossboy - I do stay clear of Google Chrome as I understand it has privacy issues all of it's own.

I'd just like to make it clear, I don't mind advertising on SF - the site owner has overheads from providing us with the forum after all! - I just don't like my shopping basket following me around on every website I visit, and as such have taken auto98uk's advice and Unsubscribed from Google's ad tracking service - yesterday.

I still have Mrs Ds John Lewis shopping basket in my left peripheral vision, so hopefully it's stopped at that and I won't get anything new...

Exactly. I know it costs them so I click. I even saw a "You are our 1,000,000,000,000th customer glitzy ad on the BBC News website this week. Like someone said, I can clear cookies if it gets too much.

Anyone seen Facebook recently? It has really gone over to the dark side.

The problem with that approach is that ads are run through ad agencies, like Google & appear on other websites. They both benefit from clicks & if that ad gets clicked more then it encourages them to run that ad more often. Google will see that you click a lot of these "1,000,000,000,000th customer glitzy ad"s & give you more of them, a click is a successful result for them.

Also, the advertisers stupid enough to use those type of ads will probably see a high click through rate as good, without looking at their actual sales figures. Maybe it even is good for them, because they're scamming different advertisers.

There is a pretty effective advert blocking plugin for firefox, which I can't mention the name of here. There is also the new 'tell websites that i do not want to be tracked' option, under privacy in firefox preferences.

Exactly. I know it costs them so I click. I even saw a "You are our 1,000,000,000,000th customer glitzy ad on the BBC News website this week. Like someone said, I can clear cookies if it gets too much.

Anyone seen Facebook recently? It has really gone over to the dark side.

You get adverts on the BBC News website?

I thought they were only allowed to advertise when their website was accessed from overseas. I get adverts preceding video clips when I'm outside of the UK, but I'm not sure whether adverts appear on the main news site as I don't get adverts on my computer.

I asked for you, and was told about these which help anonymise you from google tracking...

googleshare

scroogle

Try HTTPS-Everywhere.

http://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

It makes your browsing secure so the online advertisers can't see your browsing habits and protects you from other sneaky snooping. You'll still see adverts, but they wont feel like your being followed around the net because you're not being followed round the net.

Interesting write up about who's sharing your cookie information, plus a little FireFox add on to find out who's looking at your internet browsing activities.

.....One of the golden rules about cookies is that, for security, the only site that can read a cookie is the one that created it in the first place. So World Of Toasters knows which model I was looking at last, but if I subsequently surf to Toasters R Us, they have no clue.

At least, that's the theory. And that's what the security consultants tell you. But it's not entirely true.

What happens if both of those toaster-related web sites happen to have their on-site advertising provided by the same agency? If that agency writes cookies under its own name, can it read them both? And can it thus track your behaviour across both web sites? You betcha.

Which is where the aforementioned Firefox add-in comes in. It's called Collusion, and it examines the cookies on your PC to find out who's been sharing information with whom. Or at least, who could technically be sharing information with whom. And this is not just any information, of course. It's yours. Data about what you've been looking at online......

Source of article and links to download

Archived