What's the best car to buy with a £1000

i have two young children live in a quite high insurance zone i currently pay 300 to insure a 1.4 8v corsa but its not big enough i have my old car on for a swap for a bigger 1 but if i have no look think i can muster up about a grand any ideas what i should buy!!!!thoughts and previous experience welcome good and bad what shouldnt i buy!!!:confused::confused::confused:

There are a few early Ford Focus models about with not too many miles on. Great cars and fairly cheap to run.

Similar size is the Rover 25 (or a bit bigger, Rover 45). Usually lower miles as often privately owned. Head gaskets were a problem, but most of these will have been sorted by now. They are cheap to buy, quite well equipped and good value.

For real bargains, look at the less popular cars, eg: Proton, Seat or Mitsubishi, but check insurance costs before you commit.

Small on the outside but big on the inside is a Nissan Micra - incredibly reliable, cheap to run and maintain, hence they are the runabout of choice of many immigrant communities and known around Sheffield as the 'Taliban Taxi'.

They're great little cars though with an unbelievable amount of room inside and Nissan reliability.

Small on the outside but big on the inside is a Nissan Micra - incredibly reliable, cheap to run and maintain, hence they are the runabout of choice of many immigrant communities and known around Sheffield as the 'Taliban Taxi'.

They're great little cars though with an unbelievable amount of room inside and Nissan reliability.

Look vile though.

Look vile though.
They do, but they're excellent things - they drive like a much bigger car and have room inside like a tardis.

I have a rather large and opulent sort of car and am often the first to deride little vehicles, but always enjoyed tootling round in my wife's Micra.

Archived